Chapter 12

She spent a lot of her time in the library with Ori. He was such a sweet young dwarf, always making sure that she was comfortable and not overdoing anything. She climbed to the highest point in the library and, with a tool she had found, polished the mirrors in the light shafts. She watched in awe as the room filled with light and started to sparkle. Other mirrors were scattered around the room, angled specifically to catch the light from the shafts and cast it from mirror to mirror.

She climbed ladders and, a cloth tied securely over her nose and mouth, dusted 160 years of dust from the shelves. On a daily basis Thorin would come with a basin of warm water and a tray of lunch to share with her. They spent many hours talking about their lives; she would cry for the missed joy of extended family and friends and Thorin would wrap her in his strong arms, providing comfort. She would amaze him with stories of her adventures; he was skeptical about Ents, but Danica found a book in the archive to prove their existence.

And slowly but surely her beard grew. From scratchy stubble it grew into silky strands. Dwarrowdam do not have beards like their dwarrow counterparts; it is much softer and finer. After about 8 weeks her beard was finally long enough to braid.

Dis knocked on her door and along with a group of other dams entered to prepare her for her Margu Zantith.

"Danica, you are going to be so beautiful." She carried a gown of pale blue silk with a short train and a sweetheart neckline.

"I think I am going to be the oldest Zantith dwarrow ever!"

Dis took her by the hands and smiled, "That is just one more thing that makes you special."

Danica fingered the gown, "Do you think Thorin will like it?"

Dis and the other dams glanced at each other and smiled. "I am sure he will."

They sat her down facing away from the mirror and proceeded to connect her beard to her hair in an intricate braid. They applied a small amount of make-up to her cheeks and dressed her in the silk. Once they were finished they allowed her to turn and face the mirror.

She stood gazing at herself for a long time. A lone tear fell from her eye and Dis put her arm around her shoulders, "What is it, Danica?"

"I wish my Amad could see me right now."

"I am sure she is in the Halls of Mandos, looking down on you right now."

Danica turned and hugged Dis. "Thank you."

"For what, my dear?"

Danica looked around at all the dams, "For accepting me and forgiving me."

Dis laughed, "Alright, enough of this! Let's get you to your celebration."

As they made their way into the dining hall, Danica was surprised to see how everything was decorated. She whispered to Dis, "Is this normal?" who replied, "Not really...this is all Thorin."

Danica blushed. Her eyes grew wide; Thorin approached, wearing a pale blue silk tunic. He looked like the proudest dwarf ever, "Danica, Ruzdel, you look amazing." He hugged her close and whispered in her ear, "The most beautiful dam I've ever seen."

She spent the night blushing; she was unaccustomed to so much attention. The feast was huge, Bombur and his team of cooks had gone above and beyond anything they had cooked to date. After the meal, the tables were pushed back to the edge of the room in order to make space for dancing.

Thorin insisted on being the first to lead her around the dance floor. He was a skilled dancer and she felt like she was floating on air when he held her close in his arms. Throughout the whole dance he stared into her eyes, his shining blue, as bright as the stars. Eventually he allowed her to be taken to the floor by other dwarfs, but he did not dance with another. While she was twirled around the room he kept a close eye on her, making sure she was enjoying herself.

At midnight he escorted her to a balcony overlooking what had been the desolation of Smaug. Shrubs were starting to grow along the running river. Dale was shining with lights in the distance.

"So, Âzyungel; if I can call you that?" Danica grinned and nodded her head. "Have you made a decision?"

Danica reached up to his cheek and ran her fingers down into his beard. She reached up to her hair and, pulling a long strand that had been left loose, said, "Yes." She reached out with her other hand and placed the strand in his hand. "I would like you to court me."

Thorin stepped closer and reached into his pocket for the courting bead he had designed. He placed it in the palm of his hand for her to approve. It was a simple square bead in gold; on each side were inlaid in mother of pearl a bow, an arrow, Orcrist and the crest of Durin.

Danica smiled up at him, "Thorin, it is perfect."

Thorin took the strand of hair and expertly, as if he had been practicing specifically for her, executed a simple fishtail braid. He slipped the courting bead in place and kissed it.

"My One," he said, huskily. "I love you with all of my heart and soul. You are my precious jewel; nothing and no one will ever come between us."

"I love you, Thorin." She reached up and snaked her arm around the back of his neck and pulled him down toward her head. She placed her forehead against his and said, "I am yours forever, Umralamê."

****

Ruzdel - sun of all suns

Umralamê - love of mine