Chapter Six - A Stranger's Eyes

Sophie and Leah stared at each other, neither of them saying anything until Tai cleared his throat.

"I might leave you guys to it," he said, giving Leah a quick glance before walking out the door and shutting it softly behind him.

Leah almost wanted to yell after him to come back, but couldn't find her voice as Sophie sat down in the chair next to her bed, her posture unnaturally stiff. She had the look of a woman trying to keep a hurricane in a jar.

"How are you feeling?" Sophie asked.

For reasons Leah didn't fully understand, Sophie's gentle tone made her feel betrayed. She almost wanted to scream at her, to say she wasn't allowed to act concerned. Not now. Not when she hadn't been before.

"I've been better," Leah said.

Sophie leant back, and Leah could see the exhaustion in her body, the way she melted into the chair and her eyelids drooped.

"You must have a lot of questions for me," Sophie said eventually. "And I know you probably expect me to apologise for not running to you the moment you returned."

Leah remained silent, watching her mother uncertainly.

"The truth is, I don't know who you are anymore," Sophie continued. "Brenton took my baby girl from me, and you're what came back. I didn't want to be swayed because you have my daughter's face."

Leah sucked in a breath, shocked at the lack of emotion in her voice. It sent a crack ricocheting through her body, a blow that knocked the lid off every emotion she'd been trying to bury.

"Having said that," Sophie said, fixing Leah with a piercing gaze. "No matter who you are now, you proved where your loyalties lie at the hotel, and as the new head of the S.I.S, I can't thank you enough for what you did."

Leah hid her relief with a small nod, and shifted uncomfortably on the bed.

"So, you're taking over from Patrick?" she asked, trying to ignore the way Sophie flinched when she said his name.

"Yes, with some help from Andrew. I'm here to tell you that you'll start training tomorrow," Sophie said. "If you want to be part of the S.I.S again, you'll have to re-familiarise yourself with our way of life. Tai and Riley will be able to help you. Andrew and I have also assembled a crew to help you control your power. Obviously, this is uncharted territory, but we've contacted some scholars who might be useful."

Leah nodded and watched, half dazed, as Sophie gave her a brief smile and stood, making her way back to the door. There was a seed of panic sinking into Leah's stomach the further Sophie got from her, but it was only once Sophie's hand was on the doorknob that Leah found her voice.

"Is that all you came here to say?" Leah asked.

Sophie froze and then turned back, her shoulders tense. There was a deceptive blankness in her eyes that was all too familiar to Leah, she used it herself.

"Leah, there are a few things you need to understand," Sophie said. "As of two days ago, I became responsible for everyone in this organisation. I no longer have the luxury to spend time getting to know each new person in the force."

Leah stared, her heart sinking.

"But I'm your daughter."

Sophie gave her a sad smile. "No, you're not. You're different in so many ways, and every second I spend looking at you reminds me of the girl I lost. I can't afford that, not now that everyone is relying on me. I'm sorry, I wish things could be – "