Chapter Seven

Chihana find herself by the river near her village, she had been there for almost an hour. Thinking if she's doing the right thing leaving her siblings and the mother that raised her for good, the mix feeling of guilt and her hunger for freedom was eating her. She list all the reasons she should leave and stay, but a sudden spine chilling scream coming from her village made her run towards it without any hesitation, the guilt inside grew bigger as well as fear did. She made an abrupt stop at the entrance of the village, she stood there in horror by the sight of the village where she grew up, engulfed by the flames. The world around her somehow made itself sound far away and her heart quickened as her breathing became shallow. She was able to pull herself together when someone pulled on her sleeve and the sound suddenly came back to her.

"Ojousama! Go! Save yourself before they find you" it was an old man who lives a few house away, he was covered in soot and the fear in his eyes was terrifying. But despite the old man's warning, she ran towards the burning house.

"Haha-ue!! Where are you?!" She shouted for her mother as she made herself into the burning building and started coughing violently that she's forced to get out. Just then she heard Chizuru's voice calling out to Kaoru from a distance.

"Chizuru!! Kaoru!!" Chihana called out to them desperately, tears running down her cheeks as she ran towards the sound of her siblings calling out to each other. Out the village she saw Kaoru running away with someone, desperately she tried to catchup but she something hit her on the head hard and the last thing she saw was Kaoru's back from the distance before she blacked out.

Chihana woke up with a start, cold sweat rolling down her neck. She realised she's in her room, it was still dark outside and she lay back down hoping her heart would calm down and fall back to sleep. But as time passed, she keeps staring at the ceiling, head full of bad memories. She tossed and turned for almost an hour and a half until she gave up.

She changed her kimono and quietly walks out to the corridor, she shivered when the cold air hits her skin. The shuffling sound of footsteps caught her attention, she stood there silently listening to it. Someone was walking towards her slowly and her hand finds her dagger on her thigh. A shadow figure slowly emerged from the dark hall and the moonlit reveals Chikage. He look at Chihana, confused as she was. Chihana moves her hand away from the dagger and sighed out of relief.

"You're awake..."

Chihana turns away and rubbed her face in her palms as Chikage approached her looking up the full moon.

"Are you alright?"

He asked in a concerned tone, Chihana nodded as she too look up to admire the moon.

"Just a bad dream"

Chikage nodded glancing at Chihana once every minute.

"I'm sorry to hear that...I-"

"What about you? Why are you not asleep?"

Chihana quickly cuts him off as if to avoid telling him what her dream was about. Chikage seemed to notice but he decided not to mention it and keep his expressions indifferent.

"I just finished with my paperwork and decided to get some fresh air before bed."

Chihana nodded, her eyes wonder far, glistening from tears. A strained laughter escaped her, Chikage cautiously took a seat on the floor next to her.

"I wonder if she's crying right now... of course she is... right? She was always a cry baby after all"

Chihana lowered her head, her hair covers her face as her tears fall onto her lap. Cautiously, Chikage's hand touches her head lightly and slowly caressed her comfortingly.

"She's still my sister, but I can't forgive her.."

Chihana admitted vaguely that she still love her sister as she sobbed silently.

"Then don't"

Chikage's answer surprised her, she look up and was taken by her beauty, despite her tears and red eyes.

"Some people don't deserve forgiveness."

Chikage continues, clearing his throat as he composed himself, only to be shattered by her sudden boldness. Chihana smiled with her tear stained face as she leans against his shoulder.