Twelve More Weeks

November 25th 1993, What Happended

A scream and smack to the arm wakes Tom. He shoots up and looks around, turning to Pam. She's sitting up, hunched over in pain, holding her stomach. He places one hand on her back and the other on her stomach over hers, trying to get his eyes to adjust to the dark of their bedroom. "Pam, what's wrong baby?"
She just let's out a cry, falling back onto the pillow. Tom leans over her, one hand landing in something wet and warm. He lifts it up, only able to tell it's darker than his skin. A metallic smell hits his nose. Blood.
"Oh God, no. No, no no no. This can't be happening." He breathes, working his arms under Pam and lifting her up. She drapes her arms around his neck, resting her head on his chest, her legs shaking slightly.
He gets her downstairs and into the car, blood starting to pool on the seat under her. He get into the driver's side and holds her hand, slamming on the gas. She starts to cough. "T-Tommy, something's wrong with the ba-baby."
"Don't worry, I'm gonna get you to the hospital. They'll take care of you. Nothing is going to happen to you or our little girl. I promise." He rubs her hand with his thumb, trying desperately to not look at her. If he did, there'd be no way he could look away again.
She cries out again, pulling her hand away from him and wrapping both around her stomach. "Hurry!"

"Please, I need help!" Tom cries, carrying Pam into the emergency room. A couple EMT meet them with a gerney, helping him lay her on it. A couple nurses rush to them, on stopping to keep Tom back.
"Do you know what happended?" She asks, placing her hands on his chest to keep him from going to her.
"N-no. She just woke me up and she was bleeding like that. I don't know how much blood she lost. There was a lot on the bed, then a lot in my car, and this." He whimpers, motioning to the blood trail down his shirt and pant leg.
"How far along is she?" The nurse asks.
"She's only twenty three weeks. Is my baby gonna be okay?" He asks.
The nurse pushing away from him and joins the others around Pam. "Don't ignore me. Is my baby gonna be okay or not?" He demands.
"If you don't let us work then the answer will be no. Please, sir, we will do everything in our power to help your wife and baby, but you need to let us work." The nurse tells him.
Pam's hand sticks out from the circle of nurses and doctors, opening and closing. Tom holds her hand, giving her a reassuring squeeze. "You're gonna be fine Pam. You and our baby."
The doctor moves to Pam's side, placing his hand on her head. "Honey, you're in labor and the baby's crowning. You have to deliver." He tells her.
She shakes her head, tears streaming down her cheeks. "Too early! Too early. You have to stop them."
"At this point, it's impossible. You're not having contractions but you need to start pushing." He says.
"I, I can't."
"Baby," Tom pleads, kissing the back of her hand, "you have to."
Pam lays her head down. Squeezing Tom's hand, she lets out one more cry and goes limp. A faint coughing replaces Pam's cries.
The doctor looks at one of the nurses and shakes his head, taking the blanket from her. He leans down and comes back up with a tiny bundle, passing it back to the nurse. Tom goes to stand, the doctor stops him. "It's a girl. We're going to see what we can do for her, if anything. We'll keep you informed. For now, we're having you moved to a room so a nurse can take care of you."
"My baby, I want my baby." Pam cries, starting to struggle in Tom's arms.
"They're gonna take care of her, they're gonna help her. And they're gonna help you." Tom soothes, kissing her forehead. "They're gonna make her better."

Not Long After

Tom pulls his shirt off, tossing it on the chair behind him. He takes the folded tee shirt off the couch and goes to put it on, stopping when he feels the dried blood still stuck to his chest. He shakes his head and puts the shirt on anyways.
A nurse walks in. "Mr. McKean, you can come see her now if you want. But I must warn you, it will be disturbing. You are going to lose your daughter, and you have to be prepared."
"I'm not letting her die without knowing she's loved."