Chapter Ten: Lizards

Sangwoo gives me a wink from across the court yard as Maggie's words draw in through one of my ears and fall out the other. Like a belt in a factory. I'm feeling heavy and not really like anything at all. I'm not exactly sure what she's talking about, but she notices Sangwoo winking and smacks my arm before flipping him the bird. "He's such an ass..." I exhale strongly. "He's literally just winking." She ignores me and goes on to talk more trash. "I can't believe your seriously hanging with him? Has he tried to get filthy with you?" I feel a wild streak of embarrassment and bewilderment sprint through my spinal cord. "What the hell? No!" I spewed in disgust. "Never!" She raised an eyebrow. "Shouldn't trust him, that's all I know." I shrugged. "Hey, did you hear about the supposed gang killing a few weeks ago?" She started small-talk. "No, where was it?"

                "Next to that old bookstore on 5th. Ya know, the gross one near the projects." I frowned, "How do they know there was a killing?" I asked, masking my uncomfortable anxiousness. "Well, Rex Lance went missing and they found a shit ton of blood and broken glass around an ally near there. They say that his DNA was all over the scene, but they can't locate the body. Police aren't even looking into it though because he's been targeted by rival gangs all over the area." I shook my head and gave a grin. "Wow, people these days. It's crazy, you see, I never realized how gang infested this dump is." She nodded aggressively. "It really is! Rex was the supposed right hand man for the leader of the..... Lizards....? The.... Ah! I don't remember the gangs name!" I was genuinely surprised that Maggie wasn't aware. She knew all about the gang drama and city crime because she was related to the police departments newest recruit Yang Seungbae. He was young, motivated, and seriously into his job. He was more concerned about the recent gang killings than anyone else. 

"Well anyways." I stated flatly. "Do you wanna go shopping later so we can-" She broke eye contact with me and focused it on something else. "Why, hello there!" I noticed Sangwoo's quick approach. "Hey." I squinted my eyes at him through the sun. "What do you want dickhead?" Maggie glared. I slapped her forearm. "Be nice!" 

He scratched the back of his neck and tried to smile through that jab of his pride. "So... I was wondering if you wanted to get out of here with me?" He asked as he nodded specifically at me. Maggie's eyes narrowed and she scowled at me. "Please... It's important." He tacked on. Reluctantly I gave her a gentle nod before standing up to walk with Sangwoo. He smirked and shrugged out of his coat, draping it over my shoulders and pulling me to his side with an arm. I gasped lightly as our sides banged together. "What the hell dude?" I exclaimed in almost a whisper. "What?" His eyes were puzzled and shimmering as he led me to his car. It was a large car. The kind of truck that you'd have to rock-climb into because the tires reached your hips. He helped to push me in and I jolted when I felt his fingertips brush against my ass. I turned around and raised an eyebrow. He lifted and dropped his shoulders with a satisfied simper. As soon as the engine whirled to life and buzzed consistently I spoke, "What's so important that you had to drag me away from Maggie?" I decided to ignore the non-consensual butt touching. "Nothing really. I just wanted to spend some time with you."

We hadn't really spoken since the accident. Maybe this was his way of repenting for... Nevermind. Maybe I was the only who needed to repent for anything. "Hey, (Y/n) do you mind handing me something out of the glove box?" His face was as giddy as a little kid's and seemed to be absolutely thrilled about something. I nodded and un-did the hatch. "What do you need?" I peered into the messy compartment. "Oh, just my wallet and.... The two tickets for the fair?" His phrased it like a proposal and I felt my heart fly around in my ribs. Fluttering with a strange feeling. I snatched his wallet and carefully pulled out the tickets. "What're these for...?" My voice rolled slowly. I didn't just want to assume that one was for me. His happy face diminished into a mix of amusement and slight disbelief. "For us Squish." He kind of chuckled lightly. My face burned at the offer and at the nick name. "You really want to take me to the fair?" I didn't even want to know how red my face was. "Of course! I think I owe it to you anyways. I wanted us to go somewhere a little less... Murdery...? Maybe? If that's alright with you." I felt horrible that I laughed, but he didn't look the teeniest bit guilt ridden. "I'd love to go to the fair with you Sangwoo." I pronounced each syllable with a feeling of odd joy. Happiness was a foreign emotion to feel around Sangwoo. "Hell yes!" He shouted as he threw his arms up, slamming his foot on the pedal. I screamed shortly. "SANGWOO!"

   "Sorry! Sorry!" He cried out as he flung his hands on to the wheel where they belonged. "Ten and two man!" I reminded him. He began repeating it to himself. "Ten and two, ten and two." He whispered. I rolled my eyes and my mouth curved upwards into the trace of a smile. We drove for a while in silence before Sangwoo switched on the radio. I couldn't identify the song, but it was sort of R and B. He hummed the tune in a trance. I watched the trees zoom by and bobbed my head to his music.

We finally pulled into the over-crowded parking lot of the fair, and he took the keys out.

Before the engine died the song belted out it's final line, "....with his song...."

I opened the door and basically fell out of the truck. We approached the giant arch and into the city of disposable tents and rides on wheels.