(Chapter 1) Re-Written

(Tom's P.O.V)

It's been 6 years since Tord ruined everything. He destroyed the house, betrayed Edd and Matt's trust, almost killed me, and probably got himself killed in the end. 6 years since everything was good between Edd, Matt, and me. The last thing we have of Tord is one of his red hoodies, which I've been wearing for the past 3 years.

I live alone in my apartment, there's 2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom with an okay shower and a messed up toilet that I don't feel like fixing. Edd and Matt live in the apartment 2 doors down from mine. It seems they're trying to get far away from me, but being less suspicious. Like I said, everything's been ruined since that day 6 years ago. And sometimes I play Susan and wonder if things will get better, but then I snap myself back into the true reality of everything. Nothing's going to get better, nothing.

°·Time Skip·°

I sit up groggily and look over at my alarm clock, the big neon green numbers tell me it's 1am. I lay back down and try to sleep more, but nothing's happening. I guess I can't sleep, so let's find something else to do. I stand up from my bed and stretch, then walk towards Susan and pick her up. I walk back to my bed and sit down. I start playing a song I heard awhile ago. It's called Elizabeth.

"Pocket full of secrets
Belly full of stars
Our loving where we left it
Buried deep in my backyard

In the lonely heat of August
I am hanging on a dream
I've been using it to ground me
But it's torn along the seam

Come spilling from the center
The sounds of love and loss
An image of a jester
Of children born from moss

The edge of love is jagged
But the center tang and sweet
I reminisce on fishing lines
And stacks of magazines

Pocket full of secrets
Belly full of stars
I am digging in the garden
I am digging in the yard

You dressed up as a tradesman
In your father's suit and tie
I conjured up a marching band
And forced them into lines

We played a game of Family
Until the lights were low
And then you left me lonely
In the summer and the snow

I recall you at the playground
You are dancing on the swings
I want to fill your heart with butterflies
And other pretty things

Pocket full of secrets
Belly full of stars
Perhaps it's best we left it
Keep on going as we are

Pocket full of secrets
Belly full of skies
There's stones left still for turning
I'm afraid of what I'll find

Pocket full of secrets
Belly full of stars
Buried deep in time and memory
Buried deep in my backyard"

I let out an almost silent sigh. It used to be good but now it's bad. I just wish we could go back in time and find out what went wrong and fix it. Fix the seams of our relationships.

°·Time Skip·°

It's now 10am, time to get ready for work. I started working at a library near here, since it was the only place with spots available. I grab everything I need and take a shower and get dressed. I walk out of the bathroom and grab my wallet, phone, key, and headphones. I then make my way out the door.

It's about a 40 minute walk from the apartment building to the library. I plug in my headphones and put them on, playing some music as I make my way down the street. I stop off at the store and get a drink, since it is gonna be a pretty long walk. I ignore the people that walk by and the roaring engines of cars flashing past. I look up and see there are some storm clouds forming, so I guess we'll have a storm soon.

I finally get to the library and make my way in, the owner greets me and I nod back. I make my way to behind the counter and grab my name tag. It just says the simple 'Hello my name is Tom' like every other name tag I've seen. I take a seat, since I work the register and check books in and out. Sometimes I'll give people a suggestion or two on what books to get. But otherwise I just sit and read one of my favourite books.

°·Time Skip·°

I've been at work for about 3 hours now, so it's 1pm. I get off work at around 6pm. Since I'm the only other person who works here, I have to be here when it opens and when it closes. But the library is closed Friday-Sunday, so those are my days off every week. I like having this job, it's relaxing to just sit around and read. And then I get payed for that, how amazing.

"Excuse me, sir?" Someone with a squeaky voice tries to get my attention, so I look up and see this girl that looks like she's only 12. I sigh and then respond "Yes? What do you need?" I hate when I have to deal with kids, they annoy me so much, because they always ask like a trillion questions. She finally replies "Do you know where the fantasy isle is?" I point at a big sign above one of the isles that says in bold letters 'Fantasy & Sci-Fi' She turns towards it and thanks me profusely before running off.

I wait another few hours, waiting for something interesting to happen. It's now 4pm, so I only have 2 hours left of work. The door opens and a strange looking figure walks through. They have a red mechanical arm and they're walking with a slight limp. I have to hold myself back from asking if they're okay. But they walk over to the science section, I wonder what they're looking for.

After about 10 minutes they grab 2 books and make their way towards me. They set the books down and I ring them up. "Will you be purchasing or renting these books?" They speak in a quiet, almost weary voice but it sounds gruff like they've been yelling a lot. "Purchasing" I nod my head and type it into the computer and tell them the amount. Once payed for I hand them the books and they leave. It's been storming non-stop since around 2pm, so the stranger walks out into the rain. At least they already had their hood up.

Thank you for reading. The song that was put earlier in the chapter is called 'Elizabeth' by Sammy Copley. I hope you enjoyed this chapter.

Don't cry, don't die. Simple