Chapter Twelve: Books and Swords

The row back to the ship was a pleasant one. Kathleen was in a boat with the same people as before. She still sat next to Eustace, and he still complained, but a pleasant thought came to her mind as he ranted off. Eustace may have finally accepted the idea that they were, indeed, in another world. Although, she figured that he would not admit it out loud. When no one was replying to his words, he sat quietly.

Kathleen waited a few moments before she piped up with a request. "Say, Caspian," she tugged on the sleeves of her tunic, "do you think it's possible if we could continue our lesson? If you can't, maybe some else in the crew, or if not, that's not a problem." The more she realized what she was asking, the faster her words became. Caspian was a King on a mission. Of course, he would be too busy to teach her. The same goes for the crewmembers. They all have tasks they have to complete daily. She figured that her asking someone to teach her would also be having someone to give up the little free time they have.

"You're right," Caspian said from the other side of the boat. Kathleen bunched a part of her sleeve and squeezed it tight. "It's not a problem from what Edmund told me. You truly do learn fast."

She looked between the two boys and blushed. "Oh, uh, beginners luck I suppose."

Eustace groaned, "Of course you would want to learn how to do such a primeval thing. It's such a thing only you would think of doing, Lewis."

Kathleen bunched her sleeve tighter, "Seeing as how we were almost sold to strangers, who mostly happened to be carrying swords, I think it would be best to learn how to use one." she tried not to sound bitter, but lost her will in the middle of the sentence.

"You did very well, Kathleen. Especially without a sword." Lucy gave an encouraging smile.

Kathleen nodded aimlessly. To be clear, she impressed herself on Narrowhaven. With the fight in the church, she knew she had gotten extremely lucky. But thinking back to the chaos in the town square, everything she did seemed to come naturally. The only thing she could think of as to why was because of her dancing; As well as the knowledge that came from the books she read.

It was hard to find a book that didn't have a damsel in distress. It annoyed her that the majority of the strong protagonist characters were men. In those books, the author would describe how the man would save the girl. She would read where the man injured the enemy and how they did it. It was easier to understand the movement when it was fist-to-fist, but when the enemy has a sword and all the protagonist had was a stack of weak boards, that was harder to figure out who was doing what, other than swinging. If she knew that proper way to fight with a blade, she would at least feel loads more comfortable if she was ever separated from the others again.

Edmund could see a frown forming on her lips. Although he didn't want Kathleen to think that she would be in danger ever again, he also realized that things have changed since their last visit. The Lone Islands probably won't be the only island effect by the Mist. He wanted to protect Kathleen. He wanted to make sure she was safe, that nothing could harm her as long as he was around. Yet, he knew that that wasn't realistic. The point she made earlier was a hundred percent correct, and even though it pained him to think that she would ever need to fight for her life again, he knew that was the safest option for her.

"I'll teach you," said Edmund.

Kathleen released her sleeve, "You will?" She said relieved, only to sink her head in her shoulders when she connected the voice to Edmund.

"Of course, you saved me out there. It's the least I could do."

She blushed harder, looking down at her bandages, "I told you that we can call it even. You saved me first, remember."