Abandoned by blood

The flight attendant announced their arrival back to Seoul. Ten years. I was eager to see what these ten years had done to Seoul when I was away.

"Miss.Mila, The captain would like to see you before you get off the plane."
A flight attendant said in her soft voice and pretty practiced smile.
I just nodded with a smile as a yes, and soon she was back into her cabin.

My train of thoughts were back on the same track. Will the streets have changed.?
What about the park down the street?...
And many more questions.

I continued to ponder down my memory lane, as I heard a voice instruct all the passengers to lock in their seatbelts.

In ten minutes we had landed. I got my luggage two big trolley bags and a backpack and was about to leave when I remembered that I was supposed to meet the captian. I let my trolley sit near the exit and knocked the door to the cockpit.

The door opened with a beautiful lady in a crisp uniform. She flashed a kind smile amd ushered me in.

"So Mila, how was your flight?"
Shane asked. His eyes shone with genuine concern. I just just weakly smiled amd gave him a thumbs up.

About me and Shane, I am Mila Rose, 18 half American, half Korean. My Dad was Korean, who fell in love with my American tourist mom. They married and in a year I was born. I was named after my Nana, my mom's mother. A day after my 18th birthday, my parents died in a fire accident at their chemical factory. I am all on my own now.

Shane is my neighbour and childhood friend since I was born.
We are best friends ever since.
He is two years older and He is a licensed pilot. He insisted bringing me to Seoul all the way from New York to get me in touch with my father's parents, my only existing family after my parents. I would be meeting them after ten years. Ten years was a long time.

'Would I be able to find them? Would they recognize me?' Or worse 'Were they ALIVE?'

Shane sighed. "You are on your own now Mila. This is Min Yu. She will be here with you for tomorrow. You will get her help to find your grandparents. Here's her number. Call her anytime."

The pretty lady put her hand on my shoulder and nodded her head in assurance.
I felt so thankful to Shane and this lady. My eyes were teary and I opened my mouth to thank and
"No need to Thank me or Shane! Now take your bags and go. You have to leave soon for your hotel. Go go!"
Min Yu said in her Korean accent English and pulled me out of the cockpit
She signalled a male attendant to assist me with my luggage.

I was soon out of the airport rush, sitting in warm taxi rubbing my hands to get them warm. Korea sure was cold as hell!

The driver asked me what was my destination. "Hotel Herald" I replied and with a nod of head he took a sharp left and we were heading into a busier street.

The streets reminded me of the old days when I would roam around with my granny eating fishcakes.
Or ranting for one of those squishy toys. I smiled from all those memories giving me the warmth.

"We are here madam."
I snapped out of my trip down the memory lane and quickly hustled. I paid the taxi fee and soon checked into a cozy room.

The sun was just setting and the view was just stunning. I had ordered room service for some coffee and eggs and bread because hunger had occupied my mind.

The bell sounded and the Butler was bringing in my coffee and food. I was about say thank you and tip him that he interrupted.
"Ma'am this package was requested to be delivered to you by Captain. Shane Edward." He said as he gently handed over a medium sized box wrapped up in brown paper.
A white paper note stuck on the top read,