The Event

Chapter 3

*1 year later*

                I continued to put up with the tests and needles. The only thing different from a year ago is that I now have a plan. I had overheard the other whitecoats talking about how there will be an event held here in the winter. All of Itex’s sponsors will be coming to check out the experiments and what they were working on.

                That would be the time that I would have to destroy the building. It would be killing two birds with one stone. Destroy the whitecoats and all the people who supported their twisted experimentation. And I knew how I was going to do it.

                 A couple months ago I was sitting in my prison when I got a brain attack. When the pain had faded away, I noticed that my entire arm was covered with a bright flame. I had panicked obviously, but it disappeared as quickly as it had come. 

                I continued to experiment with the mysterious flames until I realized that I could produce and control fire.

                And it was freaking awesome.

                So I was going to wait and be a good little experiment until the day of the event. They would never see it coming.

*7 Months Later*

                Today was the day. Big sponsors and benefactors will be showing up from all over the world to look at us on display like we were animals in a zoo. The last month or so the whitecoats stopped running the tests, probably so we didn’t look beaten up and damaged. They made me eat and a female whitecoat shoved me into a cold bathtub with somewhat dirty water.

                Hey, it was still nice to feel clean for once. I had enjoyed it.

                Jax was told to keep a personal watch over me. It kind of annoyed me. He was still nice but he always shot looks of pity towards me. The old Max would rip his face off for even thinking of her as weak, but I was too empty to really care. He seemed to be protective over me for some reason.

                Even though I was cold and emotionless, I couldn’t help but notice how good looking he was. He had slightly shaggy sandy blond hair. His green eyes always seemed to hold some form of optimism, even though he was stuck in this hell hole. He was muscular like the rest of the Erasers, and his face was handsome. He continued to talk to me, and occasionally I would reply with a nod or small smile.

                I almost didn’t want him to get hurt, but I wouldn’t let anything get in the way of bringing down this building.

                Speak of the devil… Jax walked into my prison and handed me a folded pile of clothes. I stared at him in shock. I was only allowed to wear these hospital-like gowns.

                “Everyone has been told to dress in normal clothes. They want you to look presentable.” He seemed as disgusted by this as I was. He set the clothes on the end of the bed and turned to leave.

                “Jax,” I was as shocked as he was at the sound of my voice. It was harsh and rough from years of not being used. My hand flew to my throat. Jax froze and stiffened. He slowly turned to face me.

                “Max?” He whispered, as though he was scared that I wouldn’t say anything and this was just in his imagination.