The Choice Arises

Chapter 9

I stared at Jax in shock. But unlike all the times before, I didn’t want to run away. I didn’t feel like I would be distracted from the Flock and make us vulnerable. I wanted to test how I felt.

So I grabbed the back of Jax’s head and pulled him to me. I gently pressed my lips to his. He was still for a moment, but then he kissed me back gently.

Jax was my comfort. He saved me from losing myself at Itex. He never gave up on me, and he promised that he never would. He was like a child’s favorite blanket, except I would never grow out of him.

He pulled back when we both needed oxygen. I smiled at him, and he gave me a wide breathtaking one in return.

“I don’t know if I’m falling yet, but I do have feelings for you. So give me some time to work out how I feel.” His smile stayed on his face and he hugged me to him.

“I guess I can accept that. So how ‘bout that pizza?” He joked as we got up. I laughed and pulled out the cell that my mom had given me.  I found the number for a nearby pizza place from the phone book and ordered four large pizzas.

We were playing Battlefield when the doorbell rang. Jax got up and handed the guy some cash. I paused the game and we each started to chow down. We ate one and a half pizzas each and I put the rest in the fridge for leftovers. I actually liked cold pizza. The Flock didn’t, but I always found it better than warm pizza. So I would be happy to eat it tomorrow for breakfast.

I cheered Jax on while he played, screaming for him to kill the Russians. Poor guys, I kinda felt bad for them, but then again, I really wanted to get the gold bars. The RPGs were really cool and I wished that we had a couple of those while we were on the run. Just don’t tell Iggy or Gazzy I said that.

Eventually we got tired so we headed up for bed. I went to the shower first. It was a mix of greens and blues. There were shiny clear tiles on the floor and they led up the wall about three fourths of the way. The rest of the walls and the ceiling were a cream color with a hint of blue. The shower had a glass door and it had smooth stones on the floor and walls. There were three shower heads that came down like a soft waterfall. It was amazing. I am definitely marrying this shower. There was also a white Jacuzzi tub with jets and everything. It was surrounded with more tiles and had steps leading up to it. The sink was stuck on top of the counter and was shaped as a wide bowl.

I wrapped myself in a fluffy towel and went downstairs to get some clothes out of the dryer. I grabbed a matching PJ set that my mom had given me. They were Ella’s but she had left them behind. It was a pair of really short shorts with a college name written on my butt and a tank top with the same name on my chest. I never knew Ella wore stuff like this. I was kinda shocked.

I crawled into the bed, and was amazed by how soft and comfy it was. I sunk in to the mattress and felt like I was in a cloud cocoon. It was heaven.

Jax walked in with his hair wet like mine. He crawled in with me and gave a contented sigh. He reached over and grabbed me, pulling me to his chest.

“Did you ever realize how similar our names are? Only the first letters are different.” He said randomly. I laughed.

“You are so weird.” I said.

“No I’m serious! It’s such a cowinky dink!” I snorted and he laughed with me.

“Yes it is a big coincidence. Now go to bed.”

“Urgh… You’re no fun…” He pretended to pout, but quickly broke into a smile.

“Yep. I’m Max- Ms. No-Fun.” He snorted.