Chap 1

You know, that girl in the back of the classroom, reading a novel, who never really says much?

That's me, Madeline.  

Not Maddy.

Madeline. 

Everyone knows who I am.  I’ve been the top of the class since freshman year, now I’m a junior.

I’m the girl with the heavy French accent, which is why I don’t talk much.  I  don't really like standing out. 

My parents were both born in France, and I speak all French at home, but I’m fluent in English, too. 

My dad got a job transfer to Albany, where I live now, well in the suburbs. 

I walk into my job at the local bakery not expecting a lot.  Washing dishes, taking out the trash, that sort of thing. 

I like it here. It's quiet, and I don't have to talk much, unless my boss is giving me an order.  

I do my own thing, until the bell rings and I look to say hello, as I always do, one of the few things I said,  and I see Luke Hemmings walking in.  

Luke Hemmings, everybody knows him.  He's the star of the football team,  always getting complimented by the entire student body, and has all the girls swooning over him. 

I go about my work, stocking shelves, when I feel a tap on my shoulder, which turned out to be Luke.  

"Can you help me? My mom sent me to buy tiramisu, problem, what the heck is tiramisu?" Luke asked.  

I tried to say only what was necessary, so I said "follow me" and I pointed out the tiramisu. 

"You don't say much do you, Madeline?" 

I shook my head. 

“Why don’t you talk more?”

“My accent.” I whispered so it was less noticeable. 

 “I think it’s pretty. Talk more often.” He said, smirking.  “Well, I better get headed home, my moms probably waiting for this.” He gestured at the cake. 

I waved goodbye, and Luke started towards the door, but he turned around as he opened the door.

“Hey, um Madeline, could I, maybe, have your number? It’d be cool to hang out with you sometime.”  He said.

He handed me his phone, and I put my name and number in it. 

He took his phone back and headed out the door.  

”See you later?” he said.

I nodded my head and smiled.

He raised his eyebrows expectingly.

“Sure.” I said, knowing he meant for me to actually talk. 

He walked out the door, and I couldn’t believe what had happened just then.

Luke Hemmings, the most popular guy in school, just asked for me, the quietest girl in school’s number?

What?

Next day.........

Lukes POV

I walked into school, following my normal routine.

About 10 girls come and say hi, I say hi back, and they giggle at each other.

"HEY, HEMMINGS" a couple of my friends shout from across the commons. 

I throw my hand up and wave, but I have other things on my mind.

Madeline. 

I see her by her locker, about 15 down from mine, but I don't say anything.

She's walking to her first class, and she's so shy, I don't want to come on too strong. 

God, she's pretty. 

She doesn't know it, I can tell.

I've known her since 4th grade, and the fact that she was so shy just made me want to know her that much more.

She walks away, one more chance lost.

God, I'm Luke Hemmings.

I'm not supposed to be nervous.

But I am.