Alfred | Chapter 1 |

Without hesitation, I bent the tin lid and dug into the can, quickly bringing the food to my mouth. It had been so long since I had something this good. Usually, I would find old potatoes and other foods in the wilderness or abandoned gardens, and that would be my meal, but these strangers that took me in actually gave me food I could withstand! I intently looked up and gave them a smile, wiping away some of the canned tomatoes from my chin. There were about three people in the group that took me in. They were traveling to find some sort of safe haven they had heard of. There were walls, endless amounts of food, protection... I was gonna ask to join them. I could barely fend for myself- I have bruises on my sides from jumping off buildings and running from danger, and I have a wound from someone cutting my shoulder open. Thankfully I have cloth tightly wrapped around it.

      One of the three strangers got up from his seat, muttering something to the other. His voice was unintelligible from where I sat, but it was obvious they spoke English. Maybe they just didn't speak much to strangers? I would understand. I wiped a bang out of my eyes, looking down into the can. There wasn't much left. Should I savor the rest, or scarf it down? I didn't know when or where my next meal would come, so I continued to dig in.