22

Pat walked back over to where Ed was.

"How is he?"

"He's very weak," Diane informed him.

"He's lost a lot of blood. He needs a transfusion."

"Oh hell. You're sure thorns' other way?"

Diane shook her head.

"If he doesn't get a transfusion, he has about a chance in a thousand. With it, he has a one in ten chance."

"But no one here knows anything about it."

"I know," Diane agreed, "but I'm telling you he needs one."

"Who can handle it?"

"Me and Elaine will try. We have the equipment and I have read about it in a medical book."

"Who will be the donor?"

Diane took a deep breath.

"It has to be Dave. Since he's Ed's brother, he may have the same blood type."

"If he doesn't?" Pat wondered.

"Then Ed will die."

Pat looked to where Dave was laying.

"Is he strong enough?"

"I don't know. he is confined to bed but that is only because he can't walk.

I think he's strong enough."

"Of course I'm strong enough," Dave yelled, hearing the conversation.

"If my brother needs a transfusion, then use me."

Diane sighed.

"I guess we will have to try."

Diane and Elaine prepared the boys for the transfusion. A table was made alongside Ed's bunk and Dave was put on it.

While this was being done, Diane went back to the medical test, to refresh her mind and get the pointers straight.

She had donated blood before, so she knew how to get it from Dave, but she didn't know how to transfer it to Ed.

Finally, Diane decided she knew how.

She got the tubing she needed from the medical supplies and she attached the needles to each end.

Then she put the needles in the boys arms.

Nothing happened.

Diane squeezed the tubing and the air was cut off. When she let go, the blood began flowing into Ed's arm, from Dave.