33

A couple days later, Bill was fully recovered from his outbreak, a couple days earlier.

He could recall nothing of the incident and no one bothered to bring the subject up.

The truck was already within the city of Cornersville, slowly making its way through the city streets.

It suddenly stopped.

Jim's voice roared over the intercom.

"Battle stations. Humans and aliens."

Quickly, a group prepared for combat and took off outside, as soon as the back doors were open.

Once outside, they saw what Jim was talking about.

There, in an opening, not far from them, were a group of aliens, in hand to hand combat with several humans.

It seemed that the humans had the upper hand, for there were six dead aliens on the ground, but there were also two dead humans.

The aliens saw the truck, but there was little they could do.

They were outnumbered and they turned to run, splitting up and running in different directions.

Bill's group was about to open fire, but instead they watched in amazement.

One of the humans dove for a gun, grabbed it as he rolled and then fired, all in one motion. Two aliens fell to the ground.

Another of the group pulled a hunting knife from his boot and hurled it, with all his might, at another alien.

The alien was knocked forward to the ground, by the impact of the knife in its back.

A third human had taken to foot after the last alien. he overtook the alien and slit its throat.

The last guy in the group had spotted Bill and his group. He quickly picked up a gun from the ground and before Bill's group realized, they were covered.

Bill flashed a peace sign at one of the boys.

"Really?" the boy laughed, as he lowered his gun.

By now the other three had joined him.

When the runner of the group saw Bill, his face lit up and he ran to him, hugging him.

"Billy boy. You old son of a bitch.

How are you?"

"Not too bad, Dale."

"Where the fuck did you guys come from?"

Bill pointed to the truck, slightly down the street.

"That truck over there.

We have a fair size group. Care to join us?"