Chapter 6

Ruby's POV

Half an hour passed by and I had finally got my head around what the doctor had told us. My uncontrolled crying had came to an end and I took a deep breath, trying to clear my thoughts.

We has both been sat speechless the whole time until I heard the heavy footsteps of a team of doctors come down the hospital hallway. I ran to the door and swung it open, presented with a weak and skinny boy lay there on the bed, surrounded by 2 doctors and 3 nurses.

They pushed the bed into the room, past me, and moved the previous bed that we had been sitting on to make way.

The team of doctors and nurses left apart from one, I hadn't seen this man before but he had a warm face and he smiled at myself and Calum.

I pulled up a small chair and sat beside Brian, grasping onto his hand and not taking my eyes of his calm face. His eyes flickered as he lay there, dreaming about god knows what.

"He should awaken within a few minutes, I will give him the news so prepare yourself for an emotional reaction." The doctor announced, breaking the silence.

"Is there really nothing you can do? At all?" I whimpered, a little hope still left inside me as I looked up at him from my chair.

"I'm afraid not, I am truly sorry but this tumour has gotten past the point of any possible medical help now." The doctor swiftly replied, holding tightly onto his clipboard.

I looked down again, back to Brian and his lifeless features. Then suddenly his eyes flickered and slowly opened. He looked up at the doctor, a confused look on his face, then over to me. His face brightened up and he grinned as much as he could for his weak state.

"Thank you for staying." He managed to get out, his voice getting weaker throughout the sentence.

The doctor coughed loudly, getting the attention of us all. "Mr Silver, I'm afraid I have some terrible news. You may want to prepare yourself." He said in a serious tone. "Whilst taking out tests on your head injury we discovered that you have a brain tumour and it has spread rather drastically, meaning we can't stop it in any way."

I felt Brian's grip get tighter on my hand and he swallowed before opening his mouth to speak. "How long do I have?" Brian asked, his voice cracking as he spoke.

The doctor took in a deep breath. "You have another three months, I'm sorry." He said, looking at Brian with pity and sorrow.