Land of the fey

Chapter One:

The brooding sky frowned down at the troubled girl. Thick drops of ice cold rain pounded down onto the BMW's exterior. Emma Young's thin delicate fingers drew swirling patterns on the fog of the window.

The silence was tangible while the two passengers were stuck in gloomy thoughts. Emma's thoughts were dark and dismal, thoughts of moving once again and the feeling of being forever lonely. The second passenger, Emma's mum Kathy, had slightly less depressing thoughts. She was worried for her only child who so obviously hated the idea of moving, but she was also filled with the excitement of a new start.

"Em, please honey." Emma ignored her mothers pleading voice. "Emma I hate it when we fight, look, I know this is hard for you but-"

Emma interrupted coarsely "Well then why the hell would you do it?! if you knew it was hard for me why did we have to move?! You're always going on and on about how this is the best thing for me, but how do you know? I think this is the best thing for you! Not for me."

After she had said this she burrowed deeper into her warm hoodie. Emma heard a quiet sobbing and felt regret and pity form in her heart, but nevertheless she did not apologise. Kathy's sobbing slowed and she knew she was going to scream at her.

"Do you want the truth Emma?! Well here it is. I don't know. I honestly don't know anything about anything anymore. I'm not even sure if this is the right decision! If someone could just help me-" then her mother went straight back to sobbing. Emma sighed deeply then reluctantly spoke.

"Mum pull over, now." She could tell that Kathy was glad that she had something to do.

A few seconds later they had pulled up on the side of the deserted road.

"What now?" Emma's mum asked innocently. Emma climbed over into the front seat with her mother.

"Now mum, you cry. You need to get it out of your system because if you cry while we're driving we might crash."

•I want to say thanks to @TheBloomingRose001 for editing this story for me, thank you!•