Chapter: 8

Chapter: 8

All the women who are independent, throw your hands up at me. All my honeys who making money, throwing your hands up at me.

//Destiny's Child- Independent Woman

--------------------------------------------

"Thank you Mr. Lee." I said getting up from my seat and grabbing my college text books. I shoved my books in my class and left the classroom. I finally completed all my biology college classes, a step closer to getting this associates degree and a bigger step closer to becoming a Registered Nurse. Now all I have is a month left of classes, a few exams and I'll officially have my associates degree. I walked outside to the student parking lot and got inside my car. I've been exhausted all week, I've been picking up extra shifts at work to show the judge that I have enough money to take Meky'l in and on top of that, Im taking care of Bre'yonna and attending school. I don't know how I do it but all I know is in the end all this work is going to pay off. Once I have my RN certificate and Meky'l in my custody, I won't be caring about a damn thing.

I pulled up to Antwon's mother house who usually watched Bre'yonna while Antwon was at work. I just couldn't afford daycare right now and plus the time I would be getting off school and work, no daycares stayed opened that late. I have to much on my plate right now. I got out the car and went in Ms. Debbie's house without knocking. Bre'yonna jumped off the couch and ran to me with open arms. I scooped her up and kissed all over her face.

"Was you being a good girl for nana?" I asked her.

"Yes." She said softly.

"Nana was Bre Bre being a good girl today?" I asked Ms. Debbie.

She came in the living room wearing an apron and a night gown. One thing about Ms. Debbie is no matter what Antwon and I go though, she always helped me with Bre'yonna. Antwon could say fuck me today and never speak to me again and she would still talk to me and treat me as if him and I never had any problems. I appreciate and salute her for that.

"Yes she was. My grandbaby is always a good girl." She smiled.

I exhaustedly sat down on the couch and watched good times. Ms. Debbie always had good times playing in the house. "That's good." I smiled.

"How was work and school? All week you've been coming in here looking like you over worked yourself." She joked.

I heavily sighed. "I've been going hard this week Ms. Debbie because I'm fighting for Meky'l but school is great I have a month left then I'm officially done then I'll work on getting my RN certificate. Work is pretty good I'm not being payed enough for my hard work though."

She laughed. "It's always like that but keep doing what you're doing baby because god had something good for you for all the work you've been doing. You've came a long way, I remember when you were nineteen and all you did was sit on that couch and take care of Bre'yonna. You had no job, no home, nothing while Antwon ran the streets and cheated on you like you were a dog now look at you. Im proud of you and I just wish Mr. Watts was here to see you, he would be so proud. He always told me that you would grow up and be this fantastic young lady and look at you now."

"Don't make me cry nana." I said fanning my eyes.

Mr. Watts was Ms. Debbie's husband of fifty five years. He was like the father I never had, he treated me like his own. He loved Bre'yonna and was the perfect grandfather to her. He always used to give me these motivational speeches. Once he passed away, the Murphy's home was never the same. Still to this day it ain't the same coming over to the Murphy's home and he's not standing by the door telling me how big my head had gotten.

"I'm so serious." She said.

"I know nana I know and I know he's smiling down at me right now." I held Bre'yonna in my arms.

She nodded. "But you should be heading home now babe. It's getting near nine and I don't want you and my grandbaby out in Chicago at night time."

I shoved on Bre'yonna Carmine 6s and buttoned up her jean jacket. "Tell nana goodbye."

Bre ran to Ms. Debbie. Ms. Debbie picked her up and kissed her cheeks. "Don't forget to come over tomorrow my dear, I can't miss a day without seeing your cute yellow face."

She smiled. "And can you bake me cookies?"

Ms. Debbie nodded. "Ofcourse baby."

"See you." I waved to Ms. Debbie while walking out the door. I held Bre'yonna's hand and walked to the car. I unlocked my car door and helped Bre in her car seat. I closed her door and walked around the car to the drivers seat.

"Alright let's head home." I said starting the engine up and putting my seat belt on.

10:15 pm

I cleaned up Bre'yonna's mess on the dining room table and loaded the dishes in the dishwasher. I felt to lazy to stay up and wash dishes. I turned the lights off downstairs and carried my yorkie teacup Louie upstairs to my room with me. Before going in my room, I peeked in Bre'yonna's princess themed room. She was sleeping peacefully in her bed. I turned on her pink night light before going back in my room. I laid Louie in the bed with me and called Elijah in FaceTime.

He answered on the second ring. His adorable face popped up on the iPhone screen. "Hey babe." he smiled.

I waved. "What you doing?"

He sighed. "Missing you."

I smiled. "I miss you more."

"What's that noise?" He asked.

I picked up Louie and showed Elijah my yorkie teacup. "His name is Louie."

Elijah laughed. "He's so small."

I nodded. "I know but he's so cute. Enough about him though, baby I cannot wait to kiss your lips and smell your cologne."

He winked. "I can't wait to pick you up, and kiss you, smell you, touch you, and so much more that I have to say face to face."

"Ooo' I wonder what it is." I blushed.

"Where's your baby?" He asked.

"In the bed sleeping where she belongs." I smiled.

"You look tired." He mumbled.

I nodded, "I am. I have been working and going to school for five days now. In two days my court date."

"I wish you the best maybe I'll come to Chicago to celebrate." He laughed.