Blink: The Guilt

My cheek burned.

Dad had come home drunk again.

Dad had thrown open the door, yelling at no one in particular with his Texas drawl, "Why'd you have to take her?" He was referring to my mom. She had died a little over week ago; found dead in her car. Her front bumper was rammed into the side of a Walmart. Her phone was still clutched in her hand when they found her.

Her screen: MESSAGE FROM BLAKE: can u pick up some toothpaste?

She was killed because I needed toothpaste.

I sat up in my room, watching my clock tick, tock. Dad's rant still echoed through the wooden house.

At thirteen, I had a practically mental father, dead mother, and a chestnut horse named Promise.

My life was okay before Mom died. I didn't have friends who hung out with me out of pity, and we had nice family dinners every Saturday.

I tiptoed downstairs, quiet as a mouse. Dad usually falls asleep now. Once I had reached the bottom, I headed for our fridge. Dad was sitting at the table, drinking a beer. He saw me.

"Go to hell!" He yelled, smacking his hand across my face. My cheek now displayed a fat, red handprint. My eyes threatened to spill with tears. But they didn't.

"Get a job, old man." I sashayed over to the fridge while Dad stared at me with a look of disbelief. I pulled out a sandwich. Took a bite. And walked up the stairs.

Book 1!!!! Comment if u like!!! Vote if u like!!!! Will follow for follow!!!~Ry💗