Chapter 2: The gas stop

I've been driving for thirty minutes now, and we are not there yet, I would not care if I didn't have to pee so bad... We are driving throughout a beautiful place and there's a lot of trees, small cabins and I see the beach in every gap between the trees to my right...

I'm here watching the beauty of this place, admiring it, forgetting that I had to pee until my phone rang to the Whitney song "I wanna dance with somebody"...

"Hello!" I answer really exited, I really thought my dad was telling me we arrived, turn to the right or something, but he said... "We're gonna stop to get gas, If you have to pee or something do it there"

He said in a sweet voice but his tone meant we were driving longer , "ok but how far is the gas station?, cause I gotta pee now" I asked calmly, "about five minutes, I gotta hang up, I'm driving"

And he hangs up. "Since when?" I said to myself.

We reach the gas station and it was really neat and clean unlike every other. I walk to the man with blonde hair and blue eyes at the register and ask where the bathroom is. "Excuse me sir, where is the lady's room?" I asked politely. "What lady?" I stare at him for a while, maybe the thing about blondes is true but... He's puerto rican it couldn't be. "Just kidding, to the right all the way in the back" he said getting me out of my doubt. "Thanks sir" I say, I walk to the restroom and when I'm done I put on some Chapstick and leave.

As I walk out the guy in the register calls my name "Jannessa" I turn my face and say " yeah, do I know you?" "Our dad's work together my dad is Anthony Rivera" oh yeah I obviously know him he's my dad's best friend and coworker they own the Rivera partnership company. Funny that my dad is also Rivera, that's why they decided the name should be Rivera.

John and Anthony Rivera how odd.

"Well why are you working here?" I ask curiously, " I don't I'm watching the store for my friend who had an emergency and had to leave" "you're a nice friend" I said meaning it when the door behind me opens and a tall dark-skin handsome guy enters the store "thanks David I owe you one Bro" he said to the blonde guy in the register now getting his keys to leave, "no problem anytime, just text me if you need anything" I'm watching the whole scene and the handsome dark-skin teen looked at me smiling and said "hi there how are you?" I smiled and answered "I'm well thanks just stopped by to say hey to David" I lied, truth is I had to pee really bad I didn't even recognize David. "Ok Michael see you later" he turns my way and signs me to come too. " Bye" I wave to Michael .

"Don't fall for it Jan he's a player" David said laughing. "I wasn't looking at him like that", I say naively. He stares at me for a minute, "ok yeah he's cute, hot, sexy, handsome, charming..." I continue "I get it Janessa" he says and bursts out laughing. "well are you busy?" I asked "no, why?" it's my birthday and we're going somewhere I don't know where but we're going to my surprise birthday party, would you like to come?" I asked hoping he would say yes, "no" he said and I kinda frowned inside, "i'd love to" he finished and I smiled and said "okay what are you waiting for I've been here ten minutes my dad must be waiting" he nodded and walks up to I think his car, but... Now that's a car! A "2014 Ford Mustang v8 GT coupe, Black Edition" I thought but somehow I said it out loud my voice filled with excitement, David looks back at me and smiles "yeah, you like it?" he asks, "uh, yeah!" I say in response, "maybe I'll let you drive it one day" he said getting in his black awesome mustang.

Whoa I should totally ask for that car after all I am a good daughter and sister and step-daughter I have good grades, I drive safely, maybe I speed every now and then but, I've never been stopped by a cop, I think I deserve it. I gotta tell dad about it.

*speeds out of the gas station*

Where is my dad's car I don't see him? I'll call him.

*marks dad's number*

"Hello, Jan" the sweet voice on the other end of the line answers, "hey dad, where are you? I can't see your car" I ask looking everywhere. "well honey I'm right behind you" he says, I just start laughing and look back through the rear- view mirror. "Well dad I don't know where I'm going, you should be at front" I say with a sarcastic jokingly voice, "oh you know where you're going, trust me follow the path ahead", my eyes tear up as I hear this and smile as if he was looking at me. "okay dad, meet you there".

*hangs up the phone*

We're going to where my older sister was when she died...

As I wipe my tears I turn the music on, my I pod connected to the radio, my sister's favorite song the one song she dedicated to me the day before dying "take me to the king" by Tamela Mann. My sister Janelle was eighteen when she died last year, she had leukemia, and the doctors said she was gonna die, that there was nothing they could do, so... they sent her home to die. It still hurts a lot I cry uncontrollably every night.

She taught me how to cook, clean my room properly, and how to play volleyball. I looked up to her and always will, I have disputed with God since then, when I was sixteen he took the most valuable thing in my life. Sometimes I just can't understand...

*

*

*

Next there's a flashback to Janelle's last days...