Chapter One : Lana

Lana's bright, red, long hair ruffled in the brisk November breeze. Her piercing emerald green eyes, took in the grey and bleak city buildings. The little patch of green she was surrounded by, was a pathetic replica of the woods behind her house.

Lana had always hated the city, she missed her quaint and quiet hometown. She smiled a little when she thought of her home. She thought of her bedroom, she could easily picture her honey colored walls and her fairy lights over her bed, her window seat, which over looked the woods her parents owned. She missed it all, every single one of her books, her science kits, her guitar and even her collection of stuffed teddy bears, which was mainly made up of My Little Pony horses.

She imagined her mom sitting in the den, reading the latest mystery novel or making dinner in the kitchen, while she sang along to Peter Gabriel. She could almost hear her father practice his Physics lectures out loud in his study, she heard it so vividly, that a fat tear slid down her face.

She tried to remember that if she was home now it wouldn’t be the same, her mom and dad wouldn’t be there.

As Lana sat on the park bench, waiting for Molly .She thought of her parents. Her parents had never seemed to keep secrets, yet they had never told her about her half-sister.

Lana had always wanted a sibling, but not like this. Another tear escaped her eyes. She rubbed it away quickly. Ali’s parents would never be able to explain why they had kept Molly a secret from her, because they were dead. Her parents had disappeared a couple months back, only to reappear dead as cargo on a plane to Sydney. The police was still investigating their deaths but so far they had no leads. Lana had so many questions and none of them were answered.

Lana remembered the first time she met Molly, she had been sitting at the front of the church with the social worker she had been assigned when her parents had gone missing. The church was filled with people, all wearing black. Some Lana knew, like her friends from school and her Mom and Dad’s friends. Other she vaguely knew, like her parents colleagues from work at the University, but a few faces in the mass of black and tears, Lana realized she had never seen before. Molly being one of these people.

Although Lana knew she had never seen her before, she had seem vaguely familiar, Molly’s smile had reminded her of her mother’s. She remembered Molly’s smile that day because she had been the only one to smile at her, the only one to look her in the eyes.

Lana remembered that it had felt like everyone thought she would break if they even acknowledged her, but Molly had walked straight up to her after the service and offered her condolences. She hadn’t mentioned anything else, just how sorry she was that Lana had lost her parents. Lana hadn’t had the energy to ask her who she was, so she had watched her walk away.

 Lana remembered the days after the funeral when she would think about the mysterious girl. Then Lana had seen her again at the will reading. Molly had introduced herself to Lana and given her number to Ali.

As Lana had sat in the lawyer’s office with the rest of the people her parents had ever cared for, listening to their worldly possessions being given away, according to their wishes. She thought of her parents and who they might have been. When the reading had been done, the lawyer had given Lana a letter, explaining that it was from her parents.

It had taken Lana months to open the letter. The letter had been written by her mother and it explained about Molly, the letter seemed like an apology, her mother wanted Lana to go and meet Molly. So Lana had called her sister and during their awkward phone conversation, Molly somehow managed to convince Lana to come stay with her in London. Lana had timidly agreed.

Recalling the past couple of months of her life, calmed her. However the harsh city noises brought her back to the present moment. Lana stroked her porcelain cheek as the icy wind made it sting. She turned up the collar of her long navy coat and fixed her dark blue scarf, again. She wondered if her sister had forgotten her or worse had changed her mind about her. Lana tried not to worry or given in to the boredom.

 Lana sighed and stared at her blue converse. She had always loved the color blue, it reminded her of calm seas. The waiting was killing her slowly, it meant she had no control. She had to do something to occupy herself. At first she began by counting all the cars that passed on the street by the park, but that left her wondering what kind of car her sister drove. She decided to put her sister out her mind for a while.

Lana suddenly had the urge to play a game, she hoped that would keep her mind occupied. A tall, pale, curly haired man, in a coat and scarf that resembled hers, sat on the park bench across from her. She had been so deep in thought, she hadn’t noticed him sit down.

Lana was intrigued by his bright, blue almost green eyes. They reminded her of a tropical ocean. Lana blushed at the fact she wanted to run her hands through his curls and stare into his eyes for eternity. She mentally scolded herself for having such teenage girl thoughts. However she couldn’t help but stare at him, she tried to analyze him, like one of her specimen at home. Lana tried to create a back story for the handsome man.

She thought of the professions he could have, perhaps he was a lawyer, who would stride gracefully and confidently around the courtroom, arguing his point with authority and fierceness that only certain people can obtain. Maybe a scientist, sitting in his white lab coat, neatly writing down his newest theory. The only thing Lana knew was he had to be important. She could feel it.

Then he looked at her, he wore a bored expression as he studied her for what must have been seconds but felt like hours. It seemed as if he was categorizing her entire appearance. Marking her as nothing special. Not that she believed that she was. She just wished the handsome man would appreciate her the way she appreciated his appearance but that was the difference between them, he was in fact remarkable, even someone of less intelligence than her could tell at a glance. She sighed again, this was just a game after all, and she knew she shouldn’t waste her time thinking about strangers.