Chicago And The Fake AH Crew

(my first one shot yay)

Chicago 1929
14th February
Valentine's day

Jack was busy wiping the bar, humming while he worked. Jack owned a club named the Green Mill. It was a moderately sized room with little side rooms. It was one of the few places in Chicago that sold alcohol. Unfortunately said alcohol was smuggled into the state. Jack glanced up to the ladies on stage. The way they moved was tantalising. Hips swinging, swaying. Feather fans floating around their fingertips. The occasional dame climbing gracefully onto the pole and teasing the men down below.

Focusing back onto his work, Jack decided that he would go into storage and mark up what he needed.

“Lindsay ! Come man the bar. I'll be in the back. “ his voice was soft yet demanding.

If anyone took one glance at Jack, they would be disarmed by how harmless he looks, with his soft frame and ginger beard. Never without a smile on his face. They would be wrong to assume this of Jack Pattillo. He was Al Capone’s right hand man. Well, as close as anyone could get. In reality Jack has killed more for his job than a murderer could in a year.
But Jack has put that behind him. Just last month he hired Ryan Haywood. A mercenary interested in stealthy operations. He fit the bill perfectly.

Ryan was a good marksman, as well as having large muscles which became more pronounced due to the lack of a jacket. When Jack asked Ryan why he never wears a jacket Ryan simply replied that the sleeves get in the way. But in the back of Jack's mind he wondered whether it was just to make Ryan look tougher. Ryan may have cold blue eyes, but his smile ruins the facade of toughness. He reminded Jack of a puppy who's just met more dogs, eyes bright and a cheeky grin.

Capone had wandered in unannounced in December 1928, ordering Jack to find new men. Ryan was just one of many.

The first recruit was Geoff Ramsey. Tall man. Handlebar moustache and tattoos adorning his arms. Steel blue eyes that could find the darkest secrets and see right through people. Geoff had stalked in to the club one night. Eyes sad. Fists clenched. Ordered four shots of whiskey. Jack spent that night observing his behaviour. When Geoff next stalked in, Jack got straight to the point. Geoff agreed immediately.

The next employee was Michael Jones. Bright curly hair. Almost red. Burly structure with a loud New Jersey accent. Jack hired him on the spot. Michael spent months behind the scenes. Scouting out the next shipment of whiskey and scotch. Spotting every mistake Jack makes in his plans. And opts for blowing things up instead of a stealth approach.

The last three men came together. The first was a quiet Puerto Rican - Ray Narvaez Jr. Wore a lot of purple but it was just enough to blend in, if needs be. The second was British. Loud and clumsy. He made the most ridiculous plans. Gavin Free was a handful at most. And last but not least, Jeremy Dooley. Short but fierce. Born and raised in Boston with nothing, not even a cent to his name. All three came looking for work. Jack signed them all up for Capone.

6 men, hired successfully. All good fighters. All brilliant smugglers. And only needed for one job.

Today, Valentine's day, Al Capone had taken the 6 men and coordinated an attack on the North side gang. They had been trouble for Capone from the beginning.

It was now 6pm. The boys were lazing around a corner table. Downing shot after shot of liquor as if they were dying. Capone was long gone. He left to save his dwindling reputation. Turns out, people don't like “scarface”. Capone had been furious at the papers as they spinned out lies that led to Capone becoming Number 1 Public Enemy.

—————————

Chicago 1929
17th April

Ray was never one to judge, but when he saw some pompous rich person swagger down the street, he couldn't help but get angry. People shouldn't keep the money they don't need when they have too much. He grew up in a poor Puerto Rican city and saw poverty and drugs everywhere.People destroyed by their own minds. Chicago was different. He saw both hope and struggle in people's eyes. Hope to live. Struggle to survive.