Chapter 2: The Great Escape

I stared at the bottom of the bunk above me, unmoving, deadly silent and tense as ever. I heard the dorm door open and closed my eyes, turning so that it looked like I was sleeping.

I scoffed internally. Like anyone could get any sleep in a place like this. They had cameras every three feet - no joke, I once measured - and guards stationed at every entry and exit to the dorms, the "classrooms" and the actual school building.

I heard nothing. No feet padding, no heels clacking, no boots stamping. Silence.

"BOO!!" A voice yelled, right by my ear. I jumped about a foot in the air, on the brink of screaming. Instead, I turned around blindly and smacked whoever it was across the face. It may not have been loud, but it sure as hell was hard.

I heard giggling and I looked down to see the same red-blonde-blue head as before. I rolled my eyes, slipping out of bed and onto the cold, hard concrete that was the floor.

I winced, going back onto the bed, patting it. The girl jumped up on the bed, her short shorts - red on the left, black on the right - riding up more. Her crop top - if you could call it that - was red on the right and black on the left, a trio of black and red diamonds on the side of each cup in the other color.

I looked at her face, having analyzed her skimpy outfit in a second. "So," she prompted. "When 're we gonna' blow this joint?" I looked at her.

"Sweetheart, I hate to break it to you," I began, my voice slightly patronizing. "But we ain't getting outta' here." I whispered, wary of the guards.

"C'mmon, Red!" she exclaimed. I glanced behind her, into the doorway. She rolled her eyes when she caught me looking. "I knocked 'em out! Red, we got nothin' 'n no one in our way! We c'n go right now!" She whisper-squealed.

"Listen, lady. I don't know your name. I don't-"

"Harley Quinn, nice ta' meetcha'. Can we go now?" I sighed, exasperated. She took my hand, playing with my fingers as well as jogging her knee.

I looked her up and down once more. I thought over it again. With a resigned sigh, I let the broken, insane smile split my face. "Let's go," escaped my mouth in a rush of insanity.

✵ ✵ ✵ ✵

I sighed, seeing the guards blocking our way. "Harley we a-"

"Shut cha' pie hole, Red. We're gonna' blow this joint t'night!" She whispered excitedly. I shuffled anxiously. Suddenly she looks at me curiously. "Is it true what they say about your lips being poison?"

She leaned forward, her face not even three inches away from mine. Her hands were touching and prodding my lips. "I-I don't know, I haven't ex-exactly kissed anyone," I admitted around her fingers. Finally, I swatted her hands away.

"I think it's just a rumor," I stated, chewing on my nail unconsciously. This time it was Harley that swatted my hands away from my mouth. I put my hands under my thighs in an effort to stifel my nervousness.

"And I think we betta' get goin' before the guards come back!" she whispered, motioning ahead to where the guards had left their posts for the rotation. She took my hand again after shoving me out of the vent.

I had no idea what it was with this girl and vents. She towed me out and around the campus until we had reached one of the few exits. She scouted ahead and I shook my head at how careful she was being for someone so carefree.

Suddenly, I heard shouts from the hallway behind us. I started, looking to Harley. Her face had gone impossibly paler. "We're not gonna' make it, Red."