28

Nerah:

I laughed super hard as Jack fell off his skateboard. He rolled around in the center of the bowl. I slid down to the center and helped him up.

"Mother trucker, dude! That hurt like a buttcheek on a stick," he said while rubbing his back.

"Watch your profanity," I said. We both burst out in laughter.

I picked up his skateboard and helped him get out of the way of other skaters.

"I missed you so much," he said while shaking his head and continuing to laugh.

"I missed you too. Like honestly, the summer in Atlanta would've been so much more fun if you were there with me."

"Dude, you still haven't told me about anything! How was it?"

"Honestly, very interesting. I met a whole bunch of new people. The kids at the school I went to are literally perfect, no joke, they're all freaking perfect. I got to see some old family members and stuff so it was cool. The only thing that sucked about it was that the beach was too far away," I said with a smile.

"But no one bothered you while you were there?" I thought about whether or not it was time for me to tell him.

"No, not really," I lied.

"Good." He reached for my arm. He held my hand in his for a few seconds before pulling the sleeve up. 

I watched as he stared at the small scars.

"I still feel so horrible for letting you go through this alone," he said softly. "I'm your best friend and I was so angry with you because of Zach that I never thought you were actually going through anything like this. I should've been better to you..."

"Jack, you're the most amazing friend that I've ever had and I couldn't be more grateful for the things that you do for me."

"I feel like I'm the cause for all of this..."

"But you're not-"

"Whatever." He let go of my hand. I pulled the sleeve down awkwardly. "So when school starts are you going to eat lunch with me or Zach?"

"Most likely you."

"What about in the mornings and after school and stuff like that?"

"Why do you keep asking me about who I'm going to hang out with?"

He sighed. "You have a boyfriend which is Zach. And I hate Zach with everything in me. I honestly think he doesn't deserve you as a girlfriend and he doesn't deserve your love. You also deserve so much better than him. Anyway, now that you have a boyfriend, you're not going to have any time for me."

"I'll always make time for you..."

"Are you sure?"

"Of course, I'm sure, Jack. Just because I have a boyfriend doesn't mean I'm ever going to forget about my best friend," I said holding his hand in mine. 

He let out a sigh of relief and smiled. "I'm sorry I just get so scared of losing you to someone else."

I gave him a tight hug. I broke the hug and we stared at the skaters.

"Did Zach tell you about Kylie?" He asked awkwardly.

"Who's Kylie?"

"I'll just let Zach explain that to you..."

"No, Jack. Tell me."

"She's the new girl. She moved in like a month before school ended and she's friends with Tina and Stacey." I nodded. "She- I wanna tell you but I don't wanna be the bad guy. As much as I hate Zach I don't want to be the reason you guys end up fighting-"