• Phir se - 4 •

The gates of the mansion opened as Viren drove his car back from their date. They had walked by the seashore, had ice cream and chat and most importantly talked their hearts out. He had confessed about his past leaving nothing out. And lack of distraction had given him quite the courage to go ahead with his plan. And like he hoped for his plan actually worked. Jeevika agreed to come along with him for Karan's parents teachers meeting. If it were anyone else, no one would think much about it but for Jeevika it was yet another indirect message that from now on things would different than they were in the past. In the past once, this was exactly how Jeevika had strengthened the bond between Karan and Viren.

---------- Flashback ----------

As Jeevika and Karan were walking home from his school, Karan's unusual excitement didn't go unnoticed by her. Just seeing him happy gave him so much happiness. Even smallest moment of her son's joy made her happier than the sadness she felt due Viren's worst behaviour towards her. While initially Viren's behaviour hurt her a lot Karan's happiness made her forget it somewhat. And then, she realised and found a new purpose to her life. Her son's happiness had become her happiness and she didn't even realise but her wounds healed. Her son's reciprocation of her feelings healed her in a way she hadn't even imagined. And, then she understood what her mother told her once. A woman's life becomes truly complete when her child becomes a part of her world. She could now relate to her mother and how she managed to be happy despite her father's ignorance towards her. Her son gave her the strength her mother found in her.

"So... what's the reason for excitement?"

She couldn't resist asking seeing that her son had no intention of revealing the reason anytime soon.

"Uhuh!"
He shook his head, seeing how curious his mom was. He wanted to see how would she make her reveal his news.

"Karan, batao na. Won't you tell me?"
She tried to look upset which actually worked in most times but this time her son had decided to be adamant for some reason unknown to her.
In fact to resist telling her, he even zipped his mouth and kept the imaginary key in his pocket.

Finally when they reached home, Karan removed his shoes and socks, he just hurriedly walked as properly as he could and went to the bathroom. Till then Jeevika went to the kitchen to take out food to warm it up. What she didn't expect on returning was to see her son jumping on the bed while yelling wooohooo and using his removed shirt to whirl around like a helicopter.

She smiled, leaning against the door enjoying this moment.

"Maa, I can finally tell my classmates that I too have mom and dad like everyone does."

And suddenly Jeevika, found it hard to keep the smile on her face. Poor kid. Her son got caught in the crossfire, over some fight that wasn't even his fault in the first place. She, knew though, this time too her son would be disappointed. Viren would never agree to take her along with them. Even when he himself didn't have time for his son. Whatever his reasons might be, she promised to herself, this time her son would go with his father at least.

And like planned, she pretended to be sick on the day of the meeting and had Viren go in her place. While her goal was fulfilled, it only made Viren realize how much his son valued his new mother. His son had waited for years to come with him to his school and now that he had, all his son could think about was his sick mother, alone at home. He was so worried that he requested his class teacher to just give him the report card before anyone else and nagged Viren to leave as soon as they were done.

And, Jeevika who expected that her son's heart would be bursting in happiness at his dad coming to school, instead was touched when she saw he was worried about her. And that moment made all the loneliness in marital relationship worth it. Her son was hers. So she should value his emotions and vowed not manipulate the situation again like this. She realized her goal was wrong. She won't sacrifice anymore for her son's happiness because it lied with her as well. So she would try to become a part of their world.

-------- Flashback ends --------

Back then Viren didn't let allow her to do it and ultimately she gave up. But now she was getting that chance, so why wouldn't she grab it. In fact she knew, that her love for Karan had contributed to her agreement more than anything else. But her hesitations stemmed from past experience. But Viren had earned her yes due to 2 things. One, that inspite of knowing how important Karan was, he didn't use his son to make her feel guilty enough to say yes. And second, all he had done was apologize for his wrongs and had extended a hand to right those wrongs. She remembered their beach conversation.

"You would not let me be a part of your world. And that is what pains me. So I cannot give you a chance."

"You know, Jeevika this is where you are wrong. It is not you who was not allowed to be a part of this father son world. Because there was none in the first place. It was me who couldn't be a part of the world that consisted of you and your son. Maybe, because I couldn't bear the thought that you had a place in his heart that was special and his choice whereas me being important for him was not. So let me say this again.
I don't want to just marry you. I want to be a part of the world that has only you and Karan. Would you let me in?"

It wasn't what one would call the best proposal. But it was the one that pulled her heart strings and she ended up saying yes.

______________________________

She smiled as she saw the father - son pair playing in the garden. This was their normal routine. On every weekend they would have a football game with her cheering them on. She came out of her reverie when Karan shouting "Mama!" ran towards her. As usual he glomped her before Viren could, and saw her husband pouting at this very much routine situation.

After a while, they sat around looking at albums filled with their pics. Viren had arranged for a photoshoot for three of them to have pictures to hang on walls. Right now, they were going through different ideas, for costumes ti wear on parents children meet day. Karan's school organized this every year where, as per theme kids and parents would dress up, and also there would be lot of fun activities requiring all family members' participation. Last year, when Karan had proposed this, they had dressed in Snow-white costumes. She had been Snow-white, Viren as Prince and Karan as a dwarf. They still had that picture in one of the albums.

Surprisingly, Viren was the most enthusiastic in all this. In fact he was the one who had suggested the idea of dressing up as characters of story. And life became as satisfactory as it could get. She wouldn't call it a happily ever after, as storms would come and go in their life, but she wouldn't be alone anymore. They would face them together and that's all she could ask for.

______________________________

And finally I have kept my word of completing this story. I hope this end was as enjoyable heartbreaking the beginning was.

Let me know what you think. How was it?

Published on 28th March, 2019.