VII

As a child, one of my favorite weekly events were the concerts. Each Saturday would be spent getting ready to go to the Opera House. My mother would have my nurse and a ladies maid spend the morning curling and styling my hair before dressing me in my most elaborate puffy gown.

Then, after an early afternoon tea, father, mother, Victor and myself would climb into our carriage and go to the show.

I would always run out of the carriage as soon as the door opened, Victor trailing behind me. We would stand in the middle of the lobby and watch all the people coming in. Some nights the Carlyles would come. Those were the best nights. Phillip would join Victor and I as we made up stories for each of the people who entered. Eventually, just before the show would begin, my parents would come over and send Phillip back to his parents. My father would pick up Victor and carry him to the seats while mother scolded me for running and other improper lady behavior before grabbing my hand and marching us to our seats.

Some nights we would watch a singer, others an orchestra. Each time I was filled with magical music and fell into a blissful state that would last the entire night.

Unfortunately, Jenny Lind's performance did not last.

Jenny came to America a week after we returned. Many of the circus cast was fairly excited and I was too. I hadn't been to the Opera House since my mother got pregnant with Thomas and said the loud noise wasn't good for a baby's ears. For many, this would be their first show.

Lettie, Anne, and a couple of the other girls, including myself, went to get dresses for the day. Lottie choose a tight blue dress with a black belt and fingerless gloves. Anne picked a dress with a blue skirt and a sheer top with butterflies covering her chest and shoulders. She also had a blue and green hat which matched her dress. I decided to stick with their blue theme and choose a simple light blue dress with long sleeves that almost reached my wrist but a less puffed skirt then the dress I had worn in England.

As the time for the show came near I headed to the circus. Lettie, Anne, and several others from the circus were going to meet up before hand and go all together. Walking through the halls to the front door of the Barnum's house, I passed Caroline struggling to pin part of Helen's hair back.

"Would you like some help?" I asked.

She jumped at my words but replied "Yes please," with a grateful sigh.

I moved into the room and pushed the pins into place. Helen was wearing a greenish blue dress. I picked a green pin off the table and placed it in her hair.

"There," I said. "Perfect."

"Thank you Y/n!" Helen shouted.

"Yeah, thanks," Caroline added. I looked at her pink dress before grabbing a bright pink headband with a little bow and handing it to her.

"No problem," I said. "I'll see you two at the show."

--

When we arrived at the Opera House, we were greeted by Phillip. He quickly ran off to see where we were sitting. As we were waiting, I began people watching.

In the middle of deciding if a man was a secret agent or a master criminal in disguise, I spotted the Carlyles. They were nicely dressed and didn't bother paying attention to our group. Mr. Bennett followed slightly behind, taking in all of his surroundings. As his eyes glazed the room they landed on mine. He sent a small smile to me before realizing who I was standing with and turning his smile into a smirk.

Phillip returned and showed us to the standing room mumbling something about 'visibility'. I stood between him and Lettie, Anne on his other side and everyone else piled around and behind us.