Chapter 1

"Now that is big

"Now that is big."

I look at the school building in awe. The kids bustled through the doors, and the shouting kids embraced each other from not seeing their friends the whole year.

"Stop watching people with your mouth wide open; you look weird," my older brother Andrew tells me.

Older by five minutes, I mean.

I move my eyes to my brother and punch him in the shoulder. He steals my glasses and puts them in my bag.

"Hey, give them back Andy, you know I can't see anything more than a centimeter away without those," I reach my hands out, trying to get my glasses but only feeling air before they get plopped onto my head.

"Freaky four eyes," My brother says beside me, a smirk on his lips.

"Pint-sized penis," I retort back, smirking at Andy. His eyes turn into slits, and he sticks his tongue out at me.

"We don't talk about little Andy down there; it's weird and uncomfortable," he tells me, and I roll my eyes at him.

Well, at least he finally admitted it's tiny.

I look back around me and start to freak out a bit. I wasn't used to this type of environment. There were no more than 400 kids tops in my old school in England, and everything was orderly. We wore a strict school uniform; the skirt had to reach below the knee, and a quarter of the calf, you had to wear a tie and a sweater, even if the temperature was 20 degrees. Our hairs couldn't be down and had to be in a tight ponytail or bun.

Right here was very different. There were probably 5000 kids at least, and I could see a lot of skin from a lot of them. There was a happy and lively vibe to the school, unlike my old school that was bleak, gloomy, and depressing. I was having a mini panic attack on the inside, and my brother Andrew could see me freaking out a bit. He put a hand on my left shoulder and gave me a side hug.

"Don't worry, Jojo, everything is going to be just fine," He tells me in a comforting voice, and I smile at him before elbowing him in the ribs.

"Don't call me Jojo," I tell him and walk to the front doors, which are swinging back and forth. Andy walks up to me, clutching his ribs in pain, and he gives me the middle finger, and we walk through the doors.

Inside was like a zoo. It was loud and lively, and it was also terrifying. This was a whole new feeling; it didn't feel cold and dark but happy and bright. I had no idea how I would get through the crowd of people without falling on my ass.

"Well, this is slightly intimidating," I hear my brother speak up and look over at him.

He had a slight look of fear behind the confident mask he was trying to put on. I squeezed his hand tightly before turning back to face the crowd.

"Don't worry, there can't be more than 700 kids maximum," I try to reassure him, but I hear a voice pop up behind me.

"There's 4323 altogether, and if you count the staff, you can get to the 4500s; that's taking a rough guess," I turn around to meet a girl. Her hair was in dutch braids, and she had black-rimmed circular glasses. She's wearing a pink sweatshirt with a collar and a white Nike tennis skirt, and on her feet, she has on high top white converse. "Hi, I'm Courtney Collier," She holds out her hand for me to shake, and I shake it nervously.