Years later...Raven

it'd been years since they'd thought of each other, years since they'd seen each other. years since they'd spoken.
but a love as deep as theirs  could never truly be gone.

ayven was taking a stroll through the park that, years ago was the woods she went to, to calm her demons. she trudged forward, eyes lowered, shoulders slumped and hands deep in her pockets when she suddenly collided with someone.
"sor-" the words died in her mouth.

many years later on the exact same spot, warm brown eyes met forest green ones. they took each other in. filled their eyes, their minds, their hearts as memories flashed through their minds.

once the emotion registered in ayven's mind, she realised she was still lying on the boy who softened her fall.
"sorry" she muttered and held out her hand avoiding eye contact.
for some weird reason the boy unnerved her.
"it's okay" he said as he got up and started cleaning the dirt off, not taking his eyes off of  her.
after a couple more minutes she couldn't take it anymore.
"what?" she asked defensively.
"nothing" he muttered, his intense eyes still locked on her.
"then why the hell are you looking at me like that?"
"cause you're gorgeous"
ayven was rendered speechless.
"i'm ray, what's your name?"
ayven said nothing.
"you know i won't go unless you answer. i'll just keep asking questions until they get uncomfortable."
she let out a small humourless laugh then growled out, "i'd like to see you try."
in that moment ray saw a bitterness he'd never seen in anyone but himself but it didn't linger. a certain light shrouded it. it intrigued him. Drew him.
"i'm sorry" he said sincerely.
he didn't strike ayven as the type to apologise, so him doing just that surprised her and made her want to reward him.
"ayven," she muttered "my name is ayven"
"ayven" he repeated, suddenly thoughtful.
"what's your full name?"
ayven's brows scrunched together.
"how'd you kn-"
"i'll tell you mine if you tell me yours"
silence
"you first," she said suddenly suspicious.
"together"
she paused then nodded.
"raven" they both said.
a slight smile graced their features.

once the memory had run it's course they smiled softly, sadly then walked past each other.
they were not the same.
they never would be.

a part of them would always crave each other but they knew...
they knew how toxic they were to each other...
so they walked away
and didn't look back,
not even once.

even as their hearts ached
even as their souls called to each other,
they kept walking...
kept hurting.