Kabanata 24

KABANATA 24

"Aya," Miyu knocked on the window of the Yazakis' limo for the nth time, "Hanggang kailan ka manantili riyan? Come out already!"

"Just a second..." Paulit-ulit ko lang na sagot habang pinagmamasdan uli ang suot.

We've arrived in front of the Fontillas' gates hours ago but I still couldn't gather the courage to show myself in that party wearing this... this fashion week sort of... couture.

Maagang dumating si Miyu sa bahay. Naabutan niya pa kami ni Kira na nasa kalagitnaan ng pag-eensayo ng kendou. She must have been so excited in dressing me up that she didn't bother asking why he was there or why we did what we did... She didn't even ask for an explanation about my parents' identities when she finally met them for the first time. I was sure she would freak out once she learned that my father was the former Beta of the most powerful clan... But she didn't. Para siyang nawalan ng pakialam sa lahat, mabihisan lang ako ng gawa niya.

She made me a knee-length, frilly, light pink tube dress with a very short frilly overcoat, enough to cover my skin up to my collar bones and a third of my shoulders. To match the dress, she pulled my curly, rosegold hair high up and bunned it like there's a big siopao on top of my head; accessorized me with pink pearl earrings; and made me wear a five-inch stilettos. I've never worn something as girly as this and it's making me uncomfortable. But even if I wanted to take these off and changed into my regular jeans, I couldn't. This was Miyu's condition. And I gave her my word.

"Aya, kapag hindi ka pa lumabas diyan, uuwi na lang ako..."

The sadness in her tone was enough to wake that little courage I was looking for the entire time. Kaagad kong hinagilap iyong hinanda kong regalo at saka binuksan iyong pintuan.

"I'm ready!" Sabi ko at agad na nakonsensiya nang nakita ang malungkot na mukha ng kaibigan.

"Sabihin mo na lang kasi na kinakahiya mo ang gawa ko..."

Mabilis akong umiling.

"Your creation is beautiful Miyu."

She placed one hand on her waist as she leaned to one side and raised an eyebrow at me. She was wearing a pink kimono with fading sakura blossoms at its hem. Her hair was arranged beautifully with a sakira pin. Instead of her usual glasses, she wore graded contact lenses. But even with her angelic getup, right at this moment the Sanada demonic features within her surfaced... Especially the expression her eyes were showing me, just like her evil brother.

Humugot ako nang malalim na hininga.

"I've never worn something as fancy and as girly as this before so... Well, it's a new experience for me and... I can't help but feel anxious and awkward about this," marahan kong tugon, maingat na hindi siya ma-offend.

Siya naman itong humugot ng hininga.

"I understand," aniya, "But your bestfriend's decided that she's going to be a fashion designer one day so..."

Nanlaki ang mga mata ko sa narinig. Miyu shyly smiled at my reaction.

"So, she's hoping that her bestfriend would support her."

Hindi ako agad nakasagot. Images of a future, wherein Miyu was selling out new styles of clothes, holding fashion shows and releasing fashion magazines, ran through my head. I couldn't help but feel so excited and happy for my bestfriend.

I held her hand and gave it a tight squeeze without taking my eyes off her chinky ones.

"You can count on me!"