Chapter 1

Fionna POV

Yellow goop sprays everywhere as I sink my sword into the soft flesh of the candy monster PG created. It's final scream resonates through the candy city as it falls to the ground, breaking into tiny, bite-sized parts.

"Whew," I sigh, wiping the sweat off my forehead with the back of my hand. "That one was a lot harder than yesterday's was, don't you think Cake?" I ask my sister who is snacking on some of the remains of the slain monsters. I run over to her and slap the piece she has in her hand to the ground.

"Wow, that was a close one!" I turn to Cake. "You can't eat monster remains, Sis. It could make you mad sick. Remember last week?" Cake rolls her eyes.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever you say, 'Mom'," Cake retorts.

I scoff. "I'm not acting like Mom! Mom would have let you eat that monster candy so you could learn your lesson." It was true. She was big on having us learn our own lessons. That's probably why we have great immune systems.

"Come on, baby. You know what I mean. When you start to sound like mom, you're nervous about something. Or constipated. But I'm gonna go with nervous on this one. And by the look on your face, I'm also gonna guess I'm right."

She was right. When she brought it up, I realized I was more nervous about this than I thought I was. That led to my 'you-figured-something-out-that-I-didn't-even-know-so-I'm-just-going-to-show-no-emotion-right-now' face. But I don't really have anything to be nervous about...right? I guess we'll find out in a minute.

"Hey Cake, I need to talk to PG for a minute before I head home. Can you give me a lift?" I ask Cake in my sweetest little sister voice.

"Well...I have to go ahead home. I think I left the stove on. Are you okay walking home?"

"Totally. It'll let this monster goo dry before I get back to the tree house."

"Then what are you waiting for? Hop on!"

I smile as I jump up on Cake, and she grows so I can see all the way to the woods behind Marshall's cave. I love being up high. I always have. It makes me feel relaxed and happy. Just like adventuring.

In no time, we're at the window of Gumball's science lab. I wave bye to Cake as she starts walking back to the treehouse. I look around the room. There are half empty and broken beaker bottles everywhere. Pools of multicolored liquids scatter the floor, falling into several cracks. There are books lying in piles on the desk, all under a single flickering lamp. Science is on the edge of the table in the middle of the room, trying to stay away from the spilled acid burning a hole in the butterscotch table. I pick him up and put him in the palm of my hand.

"Hey Science, do you know where PG is?" I whisper. The small candy rat nudges his head to the door leading to the hall. "Thanks buddy," I say, handing him a piece of cheese left in his destroyed cage. I decide to keep him riding in my backpack since it was in much better condition than the science lab. I walk out the door, and not even five steps later, I see PG sleeping on a bench in the hall. I gently push him to see how deep asleep he is. Didn't even stir in the slightest. I know what to do wake him up. It won't be pretty, but it has to be done. I take a deep breath and get my hands in position. Ready, set, GO!

"BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! STOPSTOPSTOPSTOPSTOP!!!!! I'M UP I'M UP!!!"

"The secret art of Wake Up Tickling strikes again!" I state, cracking my knuckles.

"So, what is it you need, Fionna? I know you wouldn't come here just for a visit."