Hammock

The drive home was nothing but awkward that night. It was silent. I didn't know what to say to what he said in the parking lot. And the kiss. I actualy believed him and trusted him for the first time. I can never quite get to trust people anymore. Not efter everything I have been through.

When we got to my house, he helped me get my things into my house, and asked if we could talk. I walked him outside and we sat on my hammock. It was 11 o'clock and I was exhausted. We sat in my hammock and had a very brief conversation before I started balling my eyes out again. 

"Haley, you know I never meant to hurt you. It wasn't even my fault. I'm smart. Even if I were to cheat on you, it wouldn't be somewhere I knew you could see. I would never try to intentionally hurt you. Please Haley. Talk to me."

"Isaac, what the hell am I supposed to say? If I say 'It's okay' you'll think that if it happens again then I will be fine. If I say 'Apology accepted' that would be a lie because right now Im tempted to slap you, stomp on your foot, spit in your face, and then go in my house. If I say 'Just do something to make up for it' you'll ask me what I want you to do and quite honestly, I DON'T KNOW! I knew this would happen. I knew I would go to New York and you would forget about me. Or something would happen where I would get my heartbroken. It just so happens that it didn't happen until I got home and could see it for myself, with my own two eyes." 

By this time, I'm surprised he could even still understand what the hell I was saying. my voice was so shaky and I was talking so fast.

"I just... I wish for once in my life, someone could teach me how to trust. The only person I have ever really been able to trust is Maddie, and my junior high drama teacher. I can't trust anyone. And I was finally learning again with you, and now my walls are built up that much taller."

"You can trust me Haley."

There was a brief silence while I calmed down and stopped crying.

"If I believe that I can trust you, then I believe that you really didn't mean to hurt my feelings and that kiss didn't mean anything." 

I just sat there next to him. I didn't touch him, or look at him, but I could feel his beautifuk, galaxy-filled eys staring at me as another silence built up again.

"Tell me what to do Isaac. Because right now, I could use my best friend's advice."

He smiled and looked down as if in shock. "In my opinion, believe me. Please Haley." He sniffed. He never gets sick. Which could only mean one thing. He's crying.

I could only do one thing. I looked at him and put one finger underneath his chin, to put his lips to mine. We just stayed in that kiss for a while. Our lips didn't move, just stayed in that position. All I could hear was his soft steady beating, and the gentle crickets chirping in the grass beneath our feet. My hand slowly moved to the side of his face, and threaded into his hair. I pulled away slowly and whispered to him.

"I believe you."