Late Night Snack

He drove me home and we sat there playing the question game yet again. I guess you could say we already had a special "thing" between each other. I learned that he loves Weezer (the band) and he loves Italian food! We finally reach my house and I suddenly realize that I haven't been home in 4 days. He walks me to my door, kisses my hand again and says "May I bid you farewell until we meet again?" I smile and say in my British accent "You may, but you must always remember that this is the 21st century, not the Renaissance era." He laughs and says "Alright. Well then, I'll text you, and we can figure out when I will see you again." I smile and say "Sounds like a plan, Stan."

I shut the door as he walks away and I push my back on the door and smile. It was perfect. My 11 year old little brother, Garrett, walks up to me and says "Where were you? I have been home alone all day. Gosh. Do you hate me now?" I roll my eyes, walk into my room and reply with, "I was at work, and then I had a bite to eat with a friend. Sorry that I didn't consult my little brother about my plans, oh wait. I don't have to do that. And maybe if you had some friends you wouldn't have to be home alone all day. But no, I don't hate you." I shut my door and he yells something back at me that I couldn't quite understand.

I change into a pair of pink spanx and a grey loose fit v-neck t-shirt. I'm exhausted but I have to stay up until Garrett goes to sleep, that way he doesn't get into too much trouble. I turn on "50 First Dates" aka my favorite movie, and pop me some popcorn when all of a sudden I hear my phone vibrate. I get up and go to the kitchen counter where my purse and phone lay.

Isaac: So was it okay? Did I mess anything up?

Me: You couldn't even if you tried. Don't worry about it. Maybe tomorrow since I'm off, I could come visit you at work?

Isaac: Perfect. Now I have to go figure out what great big special thing I'm gonna do for you next. (AKA hit the hay because I'm absolutely and entirely fatigued)

Me: Haha, okay. Good night Isaac.

Isaac: Good night little mermaid.

I had told him while playing the question game that when I was in the 5th grade I would sign mysignature and it was so scribbly that nobody could read it. SO everybody just assumed my last name was Mermaid. I also told him that my favorite Disney princess was Ariel. So I guess he just caught on.

While watching 50 First Dates, my doorbell rung at about 11:30. I opened the door to find a very distressed Maddie. She walks in with her hands in her hair saying "I don't get it! We were perfectly fine one day, and then everything blew up in my face." 

Maddie and her boyfriend, Danny had been fighting a lot, ever since she got back from our nationwide tour last summer. Our band consisted of Zach (drums), Nick (guitar), and me and Maddie shared the role of lead singer. 

"It doesn't make sense!" I handed Maddie a soda and led her to the couch. I paused my movie and rubbed her back as she started to cry. "Do you want to talk about it?" I ask. She shakes her head and just begins to cry more. "I just want something to  distract me." I turn the movie back on and restart it. She falls asleep on my lap as I stroke my fingers through her hair. I think to myself about all the possibilties of what could have happened this time.

Garrett walks into the living room right as my movie ends. "I'm going to bed. Night." He comes around me and kisses my cheek. As much as we seem like we hate each other, our family has a strong belief in "At the end of the day, family is all you need." So I get a kiss on the cheek from my brother every night, butterfly kisses from mom, and eskimo kisses from dad. Yeah, you could say we're a pretty close knit family. 

I wake up in the middle of the night and I can't fall back asleep. I slide Maddie's head onto a pillow and go into the kitchen. I treat myself to a small sugar cookie and a cup of milk. I sit at the bar in my kitchen and just think to myself. Life is good. Life is easy. Let's keep it that way. 

Maddie's phone rings, and I answer. "What the hell happened with you and her?" I ask Danny.