Saturday 21st July

We went to the airport, retrieved our flight tickets, and waited for our plane. At around 2 pm, the plane arrived and we boarded. About 11 hours later, we arrived in Los Angeles. Tired from the flight, we decided to go straight to our hotel.

The hotel was massive! Very modern too. We went to find our room and unpack our belongings. Then we went to the restaurant in the hotel and ate some food. The restaurant had an elegant charm to it, and the food was absolutely delicious. At around 7 pm, we returned to our room to rest.

The next day, we took a taxi to the Star Melody Musical Company building. We entered and told a receptionist that we were looking for the person who was in charge of the international music competition. She told us she would call for him.

After a few minutes, she came back with a man who had glossy black hair and a smart-looking suit. He also wore dark sunglasses even though we were inside the building.

"Good day ladies," he said, "I am the director of the international music competition, Chad Evans." He bowed.

"Hello to you too, Mr Evans," my aunt replied, "As you know, my niece won your music competition,"

"Ah, yes, of course. She will start music lessons with her mentor, Ms Indrilla, to work her way up the chart." I nearly freaked out when he said that! Ms Indrilla! My all-time music idol! "This will be starting from today, from 10 am to 12 pm every day." He turned to me and asked, "Would you like a tour around the building? You have half an hour before you start your lessons for today."

"Yes please!" I replied excitedly.

"I'll see you at 12 then, ok, Hazel?" my aunt said, kissing me on both cheeks and waving goodbye before leaving.

"Shall we?" Mr Evans asked, leading the way.

He showed me the waiting room, the dining room, the bathrooms on each floor (there were 10 floors with 2 bathrooms each), the music room where I would have all my lessons, and the opened roof which had a railing all the way around so you couldn't fall off.

After the tour, we returned to the waiting room to meet my mentor. She was already there. She had black wavy hair and brown eyes. She wore a white shirt, a plum-coloured skirt and a gold chain belt. She also wore a gold necklace, dangling earrings, sparkling plum-coloured eye shadow, and a jeans jacket.

"Hello Ms Indrilla," Mr Evans greeted her, and then indicated to me, "This is Hazel Jenner, your new student. I will allow you to get to know each other before Hazel's lessons."

"Merci monsieur. Thank you, Mr Evans." She said politely. Mr Evans bowed and left.

She took a good look at me, probably thinking about how I won the competition. I wore a blue and pink floral small dress, a white jumper, and some white socks and black shoes. No jewellery, no make-up, just a plain common girl. I kicked myself mentally for not making a big impression. Then, she asked me to sit down. I didn't want her to have any more reasons to think less of me; I really wanted my idol to like me, so I did what she wanted.

"Let's start with a short introduction, shall we?" She smiled. Maybe she does like me! "My name is Indrilla, a French singer and songwriter. I was chosen to be the mentor of this year's international music competition's winner: you!" She said with a wink.

"My name is Hazel Jenner. I am 16 years old and I am from Birmingham, England." I replied.

"Hmm..." she sounded, approvingly, "Tell me, what inspired you to write your song?"

"Well, I guess I was inspired by myself. I have many dreams that I would like to fulfil such as achieving my dream career and travelling."

"What is your dream career?"

"I want to become like you: a famous singer." I said immediately, "I always admire how you are so confident with the audience when you sing. I always wished I could be like that."

"Confident?" She asked, and I nodded in reply. She smiled again and said, "It will take a lot of work to become confident enough to perform for an audience."

"I will do my best in the lessons then."

"That's the spirit!"

We stood up and Ms Indrilla led the way to the music room for my lessons.