monotone

My mother always told me that if I looked hard enough at a sunset, I'd be able to catch a glimpse of heaven. In all my years of staring, I've had fairly poor luck.

As the golden glow of the sun slowly sank towards the horizon, I ran my fingers through the lush grass around me. Although I enjoyed the peace and beauty of all this land, I would give it up in a heartbeat for just one normal day. A measly 24 hours to experience what a normal 16 year old's life is like, a day at a public school, a fun time with friends.

If I even had any friends.

My parents love to constantly remind me how fortunate I am to live in a big house on a big property, with access to big aspirations without a worry in the world. As appealing as this paradise is, it gets absurdly boring after a while.

"Charlotte!" I turned around to see the distant. figure of my father standing on our back porch. "Come inside darling, it's time for dinner!"

I sighed, and stood up. My dress, which was previously a spotless light blue, was now tinged with grass stains. I looked forward to what my mother had to say when I got inside (not).

I walked back to the swing under the big oak tree, and grabbed my beige cardigan before beginning my walk across the wide yard.

---

"Charlotte, that's another dress you've ruined. Why can't you just sit on the tree swing like a normal person?"

I looked up from my caesar salad to my mother's green eyes piercing my blue ones. I swallowed, put down my fork and said, "Mother, when's the last time you've actually sat on the ground?"

"Excuse me?"

"You get so bothered by the smallest things. It's grass, first of all, and we have a washing machine...not that you've touched that in a while either."

My mother slammed down her fork as our butler started to clear the plates. She jabbed one of her perfectly manicured fingers at me from across the table, saying, "You better watch your tone if you know what's good for you, Charlotte Elizabeth."

I laughed, and mocked her. "You're so full of it."

I had no idea what had gotten into me. I had never spoken back to my mother like this, and I wasn't the only one who was surprised by
my behaviour. My father sat back in his chair at the head of the table, a disapproving expression on his face. My older brother, Johnny, just shook his head.

My mother, deeming she'd had enough, stood up from her chair, walked over to me and suddenly snatched a fistful of my hair. I stood up in shock and pain, and shrieked as she dragged me upstairs to my room.

When we got to the doorway, she shoved me hard onto the wood floor of my bedroom.

"As long as you live in this house, you will be obedient and respectful," she said in a venomous whisper, before slamming the door behind her.

Disoriented, I stood up and stumbled into my bathroom. I switched the light on, and gazed at my reflection. My dark hair was a mess, my pale skin was flushed, and my blue eyes had a disturbing dazed look. Sighing, I stripped and hopped into the shower.

---

I climbed into bed, damp hair and all. I was done with today, and done with the bullshit that is my life. I was just drifting under the blanket of consciousness when I heard what sounded like a light tapping at my balcony doors. I ignored it, until I heard it again, but slightly louder.

A chill went down my spine as I sat up in bed, rubbing my eyes and squinting at the doors. There was a silhouette of what appeared to be a girl. I slid out of bed and quietly made my way towards the balcony.  I was almost towards the doors when i realized the silhouette was gone. Vanished. Still, I flung open the doors and walked to the edge.

I really must be losing it. After a quick look around, I turned around to go back inside.

"Hey there."

I shrieked at the girl bathed in shadow standing before me. "How did you--"

The girl shushed me. "It really wasn't that hard to get up here. With some practice you'll be able to do it too."

I was lost for words. "Excuse me?"

She narrowed her eyes at me, as if she was remembering something very important. "Who are you?"

I scoffed. I should really be the one asking that question.

"My name's Charlotte. Charlotte Elizabeth Sullivan."

She chuckled lightly, though I didn't understand what was so funny. "Shall I call you Your Majesty for short?"

"Excuse me? I don't even know who you are and yet you're making fun of my name."

"My apologies," she said, and gave a curtsy that seemed very sarcastic. "My name's Millie, and we are going to be best friends."