pleasant surprise

"I don't understand," I sputtered. Who was this strange girl on my balcony? I was about to protest to her statement but I realized this could be my first real friend, no matter how strange she may be.

"Charlotte, I can make your life a lot more interesting," Millie bent down to look at one of my potted plants, as if she had never seen one before. "But I'll need you to come with me."

My suspicion of her increased. "Where? And why? You do realize it's the middle of the night? My parents would be--"

"Never mind your parents," Millie waved her hand in the air dismissively. "And yes, Charlotte, I am fully aware of the time. Now are you going to come with me or not?"

She stood up, and I could see her profile clearly now in the moonlight. She looked about my age and height, but was definitely in better shape. Her shoulder-length hair was the colour of the sand. Her big, green eyes pierced through the darkness, and I noticed small freckles dotting her nose and cheeks. She seemed relatively normal, but her gaze made it seem like she could see right through me. Millie extended her hand towards me, wanting me to take it. My instincts screamed for me to retreat back inside, but then there was a tiny, tiny voice. A fraction of my being whispered 'What if?', and I nearly gave into it.

I pulled my arms away and hugged my chest, shaking my head. "No. No, I don't know you. You could literally be an axe murderer."

Millie laughed, and it was probably one of the most pleasant noises I've heard. A warm feeling blossomed in my chest.

"I can assure you I'm definitely not an axe murderer! But alright Charlotte. If that's your decision then I'm not going to force you. It was lovely to meet you, but I must be going!"

Millie swung a leg over the edge of the balcony, and gave me a quick wave before disappearing over the edge.

Suddenly incredibly tired, I trudged back into my room. As I drifted off, I couldn't help but wonder if I made the right choice.

---

I woke up the next morning, entirely convinced that last night's events were a very peculiar dream and nothing more.

As fantastic as it'd be to have finally met someone my age (!!) and had a real conversation with them (!!!), the likelihood of it was simply nonexistent. The odds of anyone getting past the massive gates and walls surrounding our property, and climbing on to my balcony unnoticed were next to none. It simply couldn't happen.

And yet I longed for it to be real.

The rest of my day was a repeat of what I've done every day before for as long as I can remember. Wake up, get dressed. Good morning Mother, good morning Father, good morning Johnny. Eat breakfast together. Feed the fish. Go back upstairs, brush teeth, do hair, make bed. Say hello to Lily, one of my favourite housekeepers we have. Go downstairs and receive daily lessons, today for math, English, and world history. Eat lunch. Practice violin, one of the few instruments I've yet to master. Do yoga outside with Mother. Play chess with Johnny, and he'll win once again. Paint with Father. Go outside to watch sunset. Eat dinner. Free time.

By the time I got through the same exhausting schedule, I still couldn't get Millie out of my mind. I wasn't sure if I should've told my parents about it, or Johnny, so I didn't. I was quite content with keeping my dream, or whatever it was, to myself.

When I retreated to my room, my eyes immediately landed on a small gift box sitting on my bed. It was white, with a dainty purple ribbon tied into a bow at the top, complete with a tag reading: To my lovely Charlotte; I hope we can move past the events of yesterday. Love, Mom.

I reluctantly opened it, and inside was a silver Pandora bracelet with several charms. I slipped it on, and examined it on my wrist. It was rather pretty, but I knew my mother was just doing this to get me to stay in line. Nevertheless, I kept it on.

As I was changing into my sheer nightdress, I heard a familiar tapping at my balcony door. I paused, and slowly turned to look.

There she was, standing just outside with a hint of a smile playing across her lips. Her voice, muffled but audible, danced through the glass.

"What, are we just gonna have a staring contest?" Millie raised an eyebrow playfully.

I tentatively walked over and opened the balcony door. Sensing my nervousness, Millie carefully stepped inside, her energy from last night clearly toned down several notches.

"You're real," was all I could muster to say.

Millie made a face at me, like I was a child that was just now piecing the puzzle together. "Of course I'm real, silly. What did you think I was, a weird dream?"

I smiled sheepishly. Millie shook her head and smirked. "Well, are you gonna come with me this time?"

She extended her hand again.

Isn't this what I'd longed for? For some excitement, some adventure, for a friend? Here was my chance to do something different for once, in the form of a mysterious yet beautiful teenaged girl who likes to sneak onto balconies. Yet at the same time, who knew where she would take me? What if she was just trying to kidnap me, and use me for ransom money from my parents?

My mind raced. What if?

I laced my hand in hers, and whispered, "Yes."