19

Susan Walker

I close the door behind me as Detective Harry Dennis and I leave the interrogation room. I lean against the door with a sigh and rub my tired eyes with my fists. Today has been so exhausting and I have so many things to do.

"Right," I start, looking at my colleague. "I need you to find me a female medical examiner. Tell her to look Annabeth over. She may be able to treat the girl herself but if she does need to go to the hospital make sure there are pictures of her wounds for evidence. I'm going to go pay a visit to this Jackson kid and also Rachel Dare."

"Do you want me to come with you after I get the medical examiner?" Harry asks.

"No. I'll go alone. I want you to work on getting a warrant so we can search William's house," I reply.

"Sure. I'll call you," he says before he walks down the corridor.

I sigh again before muttering, "Better get a move on."

Percy Pov

I don't know how long time had passed before I noticed Annabeth had disappeared from sight. It must've been a while. I should've known she would run away. I am such an idiot.

After my mom and I searched for her for a good few hours without any luck, my mom convinced me to come home. She thought maybe Annabeth would turn up and knock on the door.

"Do you think she would have went back to the farmhouse?" my mom asks, coming to sit beside me on the couch.

"No," I huff. "She's the one who wanted to leave. I know where she is. She's gone to the Cops. What am I going to do?"

"Nothing. She doesn't want you to get into any trouble," my mom replies.

"I don't want her to get into any trouble, Mom! I promised I would protect her!" I snap. I sigh. "I'm sorry. I don't mean to take this out on you. I-I just can't let her do this."

"I understand," my mother whispers and leans over to press a kiss to my forehead.

"I think I'm just going to go over to the station and tell them everything. Annabeth killed Ben in self-defense. I was there. I saw it with my own eyes. She can't go to jail. She can't," I say, resting my head in my hands.

"Everything will be okay, Percy. I promise," my mom says, trying to reassure me.

I don't believe her but I nod anyway.

We sit in silence for a few minutes. I'm about to stand up and leave to go to the Cops when there is a knock on the door. My mom tells me to stay where I am before she gets up to answer the door.

I stay seated and listen carefully to what is being said. "Hello, Ms. Jackson. I don't know if you remember me but I'm-"

My mom cuts the woman off. "Detective Susan Walker."

"Yes," the woman says. "I'm here to talk to your son, if he is here."

"I-I, um," my mother stutters, unable to form a sentence.

I stand up and run to the door, looking over my mom's shoulder so I can see the Detective. "Where's Annabeth? Is she okay?" I ask immediately.

"Hello, Percy. Is it okay if I come inside so we can talk?" the officer asks.

"Please," I beg. "Just tell me if she is okay."

The officer sighs but nods her head. "She is fine. She arrived at the station a while ago," she replies. I sigh in relief at her being okay and then step back so the officer can come in. My mother offers to make tea and hurries off into the kitchen while Detective Walker and I sit down in the living room.