Chapter 7

Tanner woke up at sunup. A few other dogs were crawling from their dens and stretching their muscles. Hunters were preparing to go on their morning hunt. Patrol dogs preparing to go on patrol. Only a few soldiers were out of their den, practicing routines and strategies.

Tanner would challenge Paxton at open time when Patrol is back at camp and Hunters are waiting to leave for the evening hunt.

For now, Tanner would walk around camp sulking, fixing the beds in each den, doing the dirty jobs that all dogs feel they are to proper to do.

Open time came slowly. Finally the Patrol dogs returned and all was quiet. Tanner walked to Beta and said to her, "I challenge Paxton." Beta nodded and jumped up on the food rock.

"We have a fight! Omega has challenged Paxton to a battle of ranks! If he wins, he will be head of Patrol! If he loses, he will remain Omega!" Beta'a voice boomed, "At the end of this battle, the pack is still one. No dog holds a grudge! Fight on Alpha's call!" Beta looked to Alpha.

"Fight!" He barked so every dog could hear.

Almost immediately Paxton lunged for Tanner's scruff. He dodge the blow and bit at Paxton's flank. Paxton was quick but Tanner was clever. Paxton slipped under Tanner and bit at his belly. Tanner yelped. His instincts kicked in. Paxton had a hold of the skin on his stomach, Tanner plopped down on the white dog. Trapping him under his huge body. Paxton squirmed and yelped. Tanner let up and Paxton slipped out from under him. "How dare you!" He yelled.

Tanner laughed a booming laugh and Paxton lunged for his neck again. Tanner put out a paw and struck the white dogs face. Paxton stepped back but shook his head and lunged again. Tanner dodged him and whipped around to grab a hold of his scruff. Tanner picked up the flabby skin in his mouth ad shook his head violently. The white dogs pelt was turning red. Paxton yelped and screamed in pain. "I give up! I give up! Tanner wins!"

"Release." Beta'a voice was calm. And Tanner let go. "Tanner wins the challenge. He will take his place in the pack as head of Patrol."

"Good fight." Paxton said to Tanner.

"No hard feelings?" Tanner barked back.

"Of course not! I know you're just trying to make your way back up to third in command. Good luck battling Felix tomorrow."

"How do you know I will battle Felix?" Tanner was confused to how the dogs of his pack knew his every move.

"Well I know you won't challenge Alana, and the next one down is Felix." Paxton smiled.

"This pack must know me better than I do."

"Well you were third in command just about as long as Alpha was Alpha."

"That's true see you next Patrol. You may need to show me the ropes."

"For sure, Tanner." Paxton grinned and walked away.

Tanner was surprised at Paxton. He showed no sign of resentment toward him. Even after he just took his place in the ranks. 'The pack may become better wild dogs than I thought they would.'