eight

baekhyun as a human was almost unreal. he was boisterous and funny, lively and always happy. he was a literal puppy come to life and it showed through the yips he let out during his sleep and the neverending hunger he had. baekhyun was the muffled laughter in the night, the lucent fireflies, and the softness of a baby's breath.

and sehun was completely enveloped into his world of easy fascination and naïvety.

sehun realized he had to introduce baekhyun to his own world outside of the apartment: his friends, his job, and school. he had been thinking for excuses for the puppy— was baekhyun his distant cousin? his new boyfriend? or the dog he adopted that turned into a human? he truly didn't know what was the truth anymore.

it took him a bit but he settled on the roommate he found on craigslist. but he still didn't plan on introducing his friends anytime soon.

***

"HEARTBREAK HOTEL." baekhyun howled to the lyrics, as he sat on top of the counter, passionately singing along.

sehun chuckled. "howling doesn't equal singing in the human world, puppy."

the man didn't see the beagle's pout as he stirred the pot of food into perfection.

"so then how do you sing?"

sehun took an intake of breath, his cheeks turning red as he looked back at the puppy. "it's sort of like this..."

sehun bit his lip before turning back around, away from baekhyun's droopy eyes wide in anticipation.

and then he sang along, voice first coming out rough but smoothing out into a soft tune. it wasn't a strong choice of note but it was just enough to shake off the rustiness of his voice.

"wowie!" baekhyun hopped off the counter and pressed himself against his owner, wrapping his arms around his waist and humming at the warmness. "you sing so good, sehunnie!"

sehun laughed weakly at the compliment, saying a thank you before wiping the shyness out of his face. he left the pot alone to turn around in baekhyun's hold, hugging him back tightly. "well, now you try."

baekhyun pursed his lips in thought. "okay, so i just—"

baekhyun took a deep breath and then opened his mouth to release the wings of angels, the soft ivory of the ancient romans turned his voice to a solid tone made to tickle people's ears. carved into his voice were the lines of raw pure talent, masculine strokes in his control as his pitch rose. he was getting close enough to a high pitch sound before his voice cracked and he coughed in surprise.

sehun was flabbergasted.

"wowie! wowie! singing is so fun!" baekhyun jumped in excitement, tongue messily licking up his lips.

"what the fuck."

baekhyun's happiness quickly turned into worry. "what's wrong, sehunnie?"

"...you're singing," was all he could muster.

"what about it?" baekhyun tilted his head.

"it's beautiful!" sehun hysterically laughed as he picked up the puppy and brought them outside the tight kitchen. he twirled baekhyun in his hold with amazement, laughing breathlessy as the puppy did the same.

"sehunnie! my tummy is going to hurt!" baekhyun giggled, not really caring because his owner would rub it out if his belly anyway.

sehun pecked the puppy on his forehead before putting him down.

"wowie sehunnie! i'm so so dizzy!"

"sorry baby."

~~~

a/n GOOOOO WHOA WHOA WHOA