Chapter 11

SAVANNAH'A POV

              The clicking from the secretary's keyboard was keeping me on edge as I tried to get comfortable in these old leather office chairs. Dr. Sloane had made an appointment with Mrs. Sparks to discuss my treatment while at school. The clock on the wall showed that Math class was about to start. I hadn't seen Tim since he left me in the hallway. Maybe that was for the best. Today was Friday, the day of the away game. Since Tim got suspended for two games, I guess I don't have to go. This week has been nothing but isolation. I was finally back at school after spending four days at home to rest and attend sessions with Dr. Sloane.

              "Mrs. Sparks will see you now." The secretary said over the clicking of her keyboard.

Like always, Mrs. Sparks exhibited a huge smile which covered more than half her face. Dr. Sloane and I took our seat in front of her desk.

"Savannah, it is so good to see you back at school. Your sister says that Dr. Sloane here has some things to go over regarding your health." She looked at me for an answer, but Dr. Sloane jumped in.

"Yes, as I assume the school records show her medical health, she has experienced a minor relapse. Meaning, she will need to be somewhat monitored by your staff. However, this does not mean you need to watch her like a hawk, let her have freedom, but just keep an eye on her. Also, please use discretion when explaining this to your staff. They do not need to know the full details here. This is to insure patient confidentiality." Dr. Sloane handed Mrs. Sparks who I could tell already had something to say.

"Here is the thing Dr. Sloane, we have on average here over 500 children. Keeping our attention just on one is a little out of our element." She smiled.

"Are you meaning to tell me that out of all the 500 students that attend this school you do not care about their metal health? Because it sounds to me that as long as you get these children out of here and onto college, one can only hope, is all you care about."

"Dr. Sloane, all I am saying is that we do not have the resources to keep tabs on each individual child's needs. Furthermore...." Dr. Sloane held up his hand to stop her.

He turned to me. "Savannah, I trust that you are well enough to go attend class. I on the other hand need to discuss how Mrs. Sparks runs this school." I nodded.

Quickly, I grabbed my bags and left. Dr. Sloane was about to give her and ear full. He is after all very passionate about mental health. As, I made my way down the hallway to English, I ran into Matt.

"Hey Blondie, how are you feeling?" Poor Matt was displaying a black eye from where Tim had displayed his handy work.

"Better, I think my cold came from getting caught in the ran the other day. Sorry again for canceling our date." I lied.

"Don't worry about it, I'm just glad that you are feeling better. We can always just do a rain check. I gotta get to class, but I'll catch up with you later." He said before continuing down the hallway.

I really needed to get myself under control. All I needed to do was walk through this classroom door and get to my seat. Of course, my seat is right by Tim's, but I guess I'll have to deal with him sooner or later. When I opened the door, the Mr. Taylor was still going on about factoring. Nobody looked at me as I walked in, which I appreciated, but I sensed something different about the atmosphere. Looking to my seat in the back row, I saw an empty seat beside it. Still, I sat down and took notes on the class, but the whole time the seat remained empty. I didn't want to admit it, but I felt a little lost with not having someone to banter with. Even if we ended in more heated fights than anyone I had ever known.