Chapter 2

Alice immediately stood up, which made Jane abruptly stopped talking about how she could have sworn a butterfly just landed on Jake's head.

"Honey? where are you going?" Her mother inquired.

"Just to get some fresh air, Mom."

"We're already outside, sweetie."

"I mean, clear my head. That butterfly on Jake's head really scared me."

Mrs. Jones rolled her eyes. "Fine, but be back soon. We're leaving in a little while."

"Yeah, sure thing."

She walked toward Nathaniel, who was walking on a path surrounded thickly by trees.

"Hey! Nathaniel!" Alice called, going on the path herself.

The tall boy swung around, eyes narrowed. Then he saw Alice, and a grin spread across his face. "Hey! I haven't heard from you in a while!"

This was true. She only spent the minimum amount of time socializing that would still allow her to carry out her plan. The rest of the time, she devised it. Looking up at him now, she took a deep breath. The plan was about to be set in motion. It all depended on how she reacted now.

"I know. It has been waay too long!" She smiled at him. It was easier to do this than she had thought it would be. He sure was cute. He looked a few inches shy of six feet tall, and had a shock of dark hair. His cheek bones were so sharp they'd probably cut you if you touched them. His eyes were a dark brown, which on most people would be hard-looking. Cold. But his somehow managed to look warm. But there was still something dark about him. Almost standoff-ish. Intimidating. He was one of those unapproachable guys that were just too perfect. The only reason she had the guts to approach him, was because she had to.

He eyed her. "It sure has. Maybe the middle of last year? So, anyways, what've you been up to?"

She had to think fast. since she had done next to nothing so far this summer, she pulled a lie out of her hat. "Oh, you know. Family stuff. Been working." Crap. Working? Where had that come from?

'Oh yeah? Where've you been working?"

"That's classified."

"Then why'd you mention it?"

"It was a slip up."

"Nuh-uh. Now you have to tell me."

"It's really embarrassing."

His grin was huge. "Oh, that's even better."

"Better than what?"

"Than the sensible job I'd imagine you having. Don't try to change the subject. Where do you work?"

"If I told you, I'd have to kill you."

He rolled his eyes. "Fine, Jones. You get your way. For now. But I have a proposition for you. Since it has been ever so long since I've seen you, and clearly we have some catching up to do, you might want to hang out?"

"Sure. What do you have in mind?"

"A dinner? And a maybe movie?"

She looked up at him sheepishly. "You mean like a date?" she asked.

He blushed and looked down. "Um yeah, is that alright?"

She smiled at him to show that it indeed was alright. Even better than alright. It was perfect.

"When do you want to go?"

He grinned. "How about tonight? I'll pick you up at six? Is that a good time?"