Chapter Six

A/N: I'm sorry. Life is busy. Next chapter, expect intriguing things.

THAT SATURDAY WAS BONFIRE NIGHT. BY that point, Andy had suffered through a whole week at Coates, and was more than ready to escape, even if just for a little bit. She and Diana were getting ready in Diana's room, considering Dekka had been less than pleased at the idea of going.

"You know it's just a night of smoking and groping, right?" she'd said, when Andy had told her about her plans, late on Friday night.

Needless to say, Dekka was back in their room, probably reading, studying, or listening to music on the biggest set of headphones Andy had ever seen.

"We need to be subtle," Diana said, putting the finishing touches on her makeup, pouting a little as she scrutinized her work.

"Why are you wearing bright red lipstick then?" Andy asked. "You just said you were going for a 'bold' look."

Diana turned around to face Andy and rolled her eyes. "I'm talking about getting to the forest, you idiot." She turned back to the mirror. "We can't let anyone see us heading out, or the gig's up."

Andy sat down on the edge of Diana's bed, already satisfied with her makeup. A classic smokey eye and nude lipstick combo was what she'd decided on, and it seemed to work for her. Diana, on the other hand, would probably look good in anything, yet somehow that made it forty times harder for her to settle on just one look.

"You'll have to follow me," Diana urged Andy, as she ran her fingers through her own hair. "We're running late, so most of the others will already be there and we won't need to worry about too many of us leaving at once."

Andy reached down and started fiddling with the hem of her black dress. Although it was tight and short, she felt surprisingly comfortable in it. She felt good in it. It did help that she looked good in it too.

"I hope Andrew managed to get that vodka. I can't stand bonfire nights when it's just beer. I hate beer."

Andrew's uncle lived in Perdido Beach and was a raging alcoholic. Every time Andrew went to visit him, he could get away with stealing the odd bottle or two, sometimes more, without the guy even noticing. A 'convenient family member' Andrew had called him, earlier that week when Andy had talked to him.

She was surprised at how many of the kids she was getting along with. Even the ones who were supposedly the worst seemed to warm to her. She wondered if it was simply the fact that any new face was exciting when you lived in a glorified prison like this one.

"I don't mind beer," Andy replied. "It's whisky I can't stand."

Diana paused and shrugged. "Never tried it," she said. "Looks gross."

"Yeah, you're not missing out on much."

Twenty minutes later, when Diana was finally ready to go, she and Andy headed outside, keeping an eye of for any staff members wandering the corridors. Fortunately, they came across none.

"The field's dark," Diana told her, "so unless they're looking out the window, trying to find us, they won't be able to see us heading over to the fence."

The fence at the back of the school had a few loose bars that could be pulled out and reinserted to make it seem as though nothing was wrong. It was a well-kept secret between the students, and most of them had taken advantage of it at one point or another.

"Let's go," Diana urged, already moving at a brisk pace through the field. Andy jogged a couple of paces to keep up, glancing back to make sure they weren't being watched.