CHAPTER SIX

Recklessness | ριψοκίνδυνος

Sage awoke the next morning with a yawn and a stretch. He flipped over and looked at the space next to him. It was empty. He could still smell Gina's cotton candy fragranced perfume all over him and all over the sheets, accompanied by the smell of her coconut sunscreen and the musk of reckless passion.

Sitting up, he rubbed his eyes. He didn't even know she had left. Climbing out of the bed, he flung his legs over the side. His clothes were piled up on the floor. His cellphone sat next to his wallet and the telephone on the nightstand.

He reached for his cellphone and found twenty missed calls and several text messages. He began to check them. His Gramma called to check in on him twice. There were four calls from Katie. There was one call from Emily. The rest were from Angelica.

She sent almost all of the text messages, which were full of profane cusses and abuse. Sage read as she called him everything from a Player to the highly forbidden N-Word.

Sage shook his head. Then he noticed that the most recent two of the messages had been opened. And read.

Gina.

Sage didn't have her phone number to call her, so the best thing he could think to do would be to call someone who did.

He dialed James.

It went to his voicemail.

He tried Wilson, then Ryan. There was no answer on either of their cellphones.

Figuring that they were probably still asleep, he sat there staring at the Nokia for a moment. Then he texted Angelica back.

Don't call me again. Ever. Don't message me again. Ever. Lose this number.

Almost immediately came several responses. It was a barrage of more insults and vulgarity. Sage stood up, tossing his Nokia onto the bed so the constant vibrating would be somewhat muted by the bedsheets.

He thought about last night, the sweet, fragrant reminders of Gina's presence taking him back to exciting moments of ecstasy he wanted more of. Gina was as intoxicating as a fine Cognac, sexy, vibrant, alluring and youthful. She was mature and in unique ways exotic with her California style. It was very different from what he encountered in Cleveland. He wanted to find her and tell her that he and Angelica weren't a thing.

He shuffled into the bathroom and took a shower, brushed his teeth, shaved and trimmed his goatee and mustache, lotioned up and got dressed for the day.

Sage remembered the cash he had on hand. He could possibly take a taxi out to where James' house was, or he could catch a bus. Maybe even navigate the MTS. He wanted to explain to Gina the situation with Angelica, who was now displaying a certain brand of crazy. It was a good thing she didn't know where Sage lived.

Sage plopped down on the bed, sprayed Cool Water on his neck and contemplated getting a new cellphone number. Then he reached for the Nokia and dialed Emily.

After a few rings, she answered.

"Hey, what's up, Cleveland," she said.

"What's up with you, Pittsburgh?" Sage replied with a snort.

"A little goofy this morning, are we?" Emily breathed.

"Maybe. What you got going on today?"

"Me? Not much. Girls wanna hang out at Sea World and see Shamu. I'm not exactly feeling it."

"Why not? Sea World is awesome," Sage said.

"Oh, so you've been there?"

"Well, no. But I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to see some orcas and killer whales. And dolphins. I can finally use these throw away Fujis I bought."