Memory 12: No Tears Left To Shed

MIRA'S POV:

I kept rubbing my palms together and blew onto them while desperately trying to protect myself from the biting winter breeze. Although these were the mountains that I grew up climbing and the woods that I recalled running around for almost my whole life, today, somehow, the touch of that familiar subzero degree zephyr felt colder than usual. As though welcoming an anonymous stranger and not the ardent child it nurtured for so long, my beautiful birthplace wavered with an extremely odd and ominous aura.

"Wae geurae...?" I gently placed my palm on the snowy bark of the nearest tree as the chillness summoned an alien sense of jolt in my nerves.

"Mira-yah, the locals just told me that there is too much snow on the road that led to the top and it is dangerous to drive up in that state, especially after sunset. I guess we can't climb up to the temple today... eottoke?" His information felt like fuel to the portentous fire that was burning in my agitated heart.

First, we had to stop at various spots on the way to Gangwon-do because of the inconsistent snowfall. Then, the familiar breeze felt like needles piercing through my skin instead of its usual comforting caress. And now when we have finally reached, we're being held back from going to the sacred Samhwasa temple I grew up in. A slight sensation of pain began throbbing in my temples as I contemplated the odds over.

"Choi Mira! Do you hear me?" He softly touched my tensed shoulder as I turned around.

"This doesn't feel right, Won-ah. This place is colder than usual..." I expressed my frustration as he hurriedly took off his gloves and put them on my icy hands.

"Yah! Why are you not wearing any gloves?" He rubbed his palms together and blew on them before caressing my pale face as his comfy warmth eased my concern a little.

"It is the peak time of the season, Mira-yah. Plus, this place has always been colder than anywhere during winter."

However, his reasons didn't get to me at all. Unlike my eyes and other senses, my instincts could never be deceived and right now what I felt was far more disturbing than I could ever describe. This trip was supposed to be a romantic reminiscent of our good old times but it felt like everything except what we expected.

It felt more like a wary warning than a warm welcome.

"Gaja... let's go to the nearest homestay for tonight and I promise to take you to the temple tomorrow." He began to walk but I hurriedly held onto his forearm, halting his steps.

"Won-ah... let's just return to Seoul tomorrow. We can visit another time when you have debuted. I don't feel-"

"Mira-yah...-" he held both my shoulders with care, "-Gwenchana... don't be bothered by the climate, please. It'll be better tomorrow. Plus, I won't risk promising to bring you back after the debut because you know how things will be after that. Come on now... you know how much I had to beg Jyani hyung to lend me his father's old jeep without even a proper license..." His objection gave rise to another ominous hint in my calamitous head. Perhaps that is the reason.

Perhaps this illegal trip was already a mistake, to begin with.

"That's it! That is exactly it. Maybe we should just go back and visit again when one of us has a legal driver's license- isn't this dangerous?"

"Choi Mira...Choi Mira..." I was pulled into an emergency hug as he patted my back softly. "Please don't get sentimental now... You don't have to worry this much because I have all of this sorted out. You know what... let's stop by Dutasan Fortress before going to Samhwasa tomorrow. I know how much you love the view from the peak." He proposed another equally dangerous offer in an attempt to calm me.