4

Jisoo's POV

I was already late by the time I woke up.

No surprises there. I'm always late for important things.

Like when my friends needed me most.

Punctuality has never been my forte, although when I graduated from the Police Academy I had some semblance of time management. But that all went down the drain when I took up the job at the office. I don't want to brag but they kind of overlooked this particular fault, provided I produced stellar work in exchange.

Which I must have, because I still toddled to the same old stuffy and mildewed cubicle within a nondescript building in uptown Gangnam for the past 8 years.

I skidded down into the kitchen to grab a bite of toast and some coffee when I heard Jennie from the doorway.

"And where exactly do you think you're going dressed like that?" She was looking at me with her lips curled in disapproval, hands on hips, just like my eomma.

Dressed like what?

I looked down at my outfit: black leggings, sneakers, black hoodie and a denim jacket on top. Certainly not on last season's runway catalogue but comfy enough for me.

To be completely frank I never really cared that much for fashion, unlike my friends. 'Obsessed' wouldn't do them justice: they drooled over anything to do with fashion. They talked about it, gazed at it, pored over it, created it, wore it, breathed it.... even the boys. All of them poured their heart and soul into their dream of making it big in the fashion industry as designers or producers or models.

"How many times do I have to tell you, we are in New York and looks are EVERYTHING here," Jennie fretted, practically tearing her hair out, "and don't give me crap about being late: you're not getting out of this house looking like a dog's breakfast or I'll die of humiliation in your place"

So saying she tugged me out of the kitchen, ranting about "first impressions" and "nonexistent fashion sense" and uttering other colourful words. Thankfully, Joo-hyun was already at playschool.

"Hey, this face was on magazines before doesn't that count for something?" I countered but she was too busy rummaging through her wardrobe(s) to hear me.

An hour or so later I stumbled out of the taxi at my destined location and immediately went into the prestigious Plaza Hotel, where my target had been holding a presentation for his latest contract to represent a cosmetics company, as an ambassador of beauty.

I was right at the back of the audience who was listening with rapt attention. I was too short to see, even though I was wearing Jennie's special heels. I tried standing on tiptoes even more and ended up almost knocking over some old gent.

"...and thus, to conclude this event, ladies and gentlemen, I hereby extend Mr Kim's contract as our brand ambassador for this year's revolutionised Young Forever line of skincare products. We just cannot afford to let him go now can we? He is indeed too valuable. Come up here, my man."

Amidst ear-splitting applause, the most gorgeous Asian man joined the speaker on the podium, both shook hands vigorously and posed for the blinding cameras to snap their pictures.

He hasn't changed one bit. Even if he has dyed his hair, those eyes and nose and lips and cheeks and that goddamn jawline, I'd recognise them anywhere.

I felt the pulse pounding in my head.

"I look forward to continuing our collaboration for the brand's promotion, sir," said Mr Kim with effortless English, switching on that dazzling smile that had my heartbeat fluctuating violently. I watched as some of Manhattan's social elites swarmed to greet him once he went down from the podium, held back by body guards.