chap 1

• Dedicated to Nazelle Simon

Eyes twitching with excitement he took one step closer to claim his prize. Through sickness and health; wealth and poverty she would be his. Craig Hampton knew that from the very day he lay eyes on Harper, he loved her. Now he looked euphoric as the priest pronounced them man and wife. Both Harper and Craig shared an intimate french kiss as the guests erupted with cheers. Over and Over in his mind he said Harper's new name: Harper Hampton, Harper Hampton. To him his wife's name sounded better than another he had heard.

It was an uphill battle to win Harper's heart. Believe it or not Harper was once Craig's brother's girlfriend, but from day one Craig had loved her. He felt bad that he had a zeal for his brother's caramel- skinned beauty. What made situations worse for Craig was their fidelity to each other at first. Harper had Craig puzzled when she paid him an unexpected visit. The wind was blowing vigorously and the rain pelted immensely, Harper showed up at Craig's apartment for shelter, he was stunned to see her at his front door, but he let her in quickly.

" What are you doing here?" Craig had questioned, befuddled by her unpredicted visit.                                 " I was heading over to Rider's but the weather was inappropriate for driving, so i stopped to the only person I knew in this town." As she spoke her Caribbean accent was perspicuous. She shivered in her wet clothes and Craig hated seeing her that way. He offered to lend her some of his clothes, but she denied it. She said that she had some clothes in her purse and without permission she headed straight to his pocket-sized bathroom. 

Craig sat on his couch with a beer in hand as he stared at the television. He had Harper right where he wanted her but he couldn't make a move on her because she was Rider's girlfriend. He had only had a swig of beer and he already wanted to piss. Without remembering that he had a guest in his house, Craig traipsed to his bathroom. He prodded the door open, only to hear a shriek that had the power to create a mass earthquake.

" Cover your eyes!" Harper demanded as she pulled up her underwear.

" I am so sorry," Craig was mortified. He stepped out of the bathroom with one hand covering his eyes.

He went back to his couch where he lay flustered. He thought of calling his brother, Rider but he dismissed the  thought because it made no sense. The rain had soon ceased and Craig still wanted to piss. He knocked on the bathroom door, and Harper sauntered out with a short pants that was definitely made for sleeping in and a cami which unveiled her oversized breasts. Craig ,once again crimsoned. She was doing this to him on purpose. 

" Wow," he whispered as he bit his lips," UH... I mean I'm sorry for just now.'

She accepted his apology with a satyric smooch. " Thanks for everything," she uttered before skimming off.

Beyond comparison this was the most culminating day he ever had. There was so much perplexity in Harper's actions that Craig failed to question. He wanted to cherish that night's surprises but kept them confidential. Not much later Rider showed up at Craig's malodorous apartment ready to scuffle his brother. Harper was nefarious, she had told Rider that Craig had tried to rape her and here he was ready to fight for his girl.

" I swear Rider, I didn't so much as touch your girl. She was the one kissing me." He had lost all his patience and turned away from his brother. " I can't believe youu'll let some stupid girl between us man; we were tight man." Rider listened to his brother's theory  and gave him a second shot.

" Just let me never hear Harper complain about you again man; I'm serious." With that Rider left.