chap7

The nurses on duty quickly took charge of the frisky mess placed in their hands. Craig was rushed to the Emergency room where he was treated. His doctors knew that by the way he looked, he hadn't suffered from a fall. Someone had inflicted harm on the young Caribbean boy.

Meanwhile Ms. Araya paced up and down the hospital's floor, she waited for a doctor to tell her of his conditions. She was tired; her eyes were baggy, they were filled with stress and anxiety. Her angelic face, now a weary easel and her makeup was like a grotesque piece of art. She unconsciously bit her nails and she stared into the heavens as if she awaited a heavenly call.

" Ms. Araya," she was afraid, she thought it was an answer from heaven, but it was only Craig's doctor.

" Yes Father," she trembled with clasped hands.

The doctor laughed," Ms.Araya it's not God calling you it's Doctor Gray," he said as he shook her hands.

" Oh, sorry about that," she said embarrassment was evident on her pale skin. 

" You're Craig's family member aren't you?"

" No, but I'm all he gots," she said finally believing her statement.

" He's in stable condition, but he'll need someone to look after him," he said as he watched Ms. Araya's worry turn into hope. " He'll need to stay overnight. So you can go home and get some rest."

" Thanks, but I think I'll stay with him," she wanted to ensure that Craig was well and in addition she didn't have transport to go home and taxis were no choice because she had no money.

She got the room number from Doctor Gray and went straight to it. She held her mouth as she saw her employer laying motionless on the sickbed. His arm was placed in a cast and his head was wrapped like an Egyptian mummy. She strolled in and sat on his bed; he was sleeping. Ms.Araya brushed his stray hair strands out of his face gently, but she woke him.

He blinked four times as he tried strenuously to open his eyes. He stared around the room and he began to cry. It was unearthly to see Craig cry. 

" I'm going to die aren't I?" he asked in and between muffled sobs. His question shocked Ms.Araya and she began whimpering as she saw how fragile he was.

" You're going to be okay chico. I'll take care of you"

The next few hours were spent while Ms.Acosta held Craig's good hand and together they sobbed. After a few hours neither of the two knew why thy were crying, it just seemed appropriate. They carried this out until they fell asleep.

It was Doctor Gray who woke them the next morning. He knocked on the cheap wooden door that protected Craig's room. Ms.Araya jumped, interrupted from her dreamless sleep. She stood to her feet as her eyes tried to adjust to the brightness of the minuscule room. She looked horrible and Doctor gray certainly saw that she was stressed.

" Good morning Ms. Araya, how was your night?" The Doctor seemed concerned but he was only trying to make the atmosphere lighter. 

" I'm tired," she answered honestly.

" You should go home and get some rest."

" I don't have any money, " she was ashamed to admit this to a total stranger. Her timid response brought a smile to the doctor's face. She gawked at him with concerned weary eyes.

" Why didn't you say so before? I'm sure our hospital shuttle wouldn't mind making an extra stop. I'llbe right back."

In a flash the doctor was gone, he consulted with the shuttle driver and made his way back to his patient's room.