Episode 21

In Preparation for the Abrupt

Just as Claire and Elizabeth had completed their plans for the night, a knock was at the door.

Elizabeth turned around from her right side a little to look at the door and asked, "Who is it?"

Standing outside their door, a familiar dark silver-haired woman's back could be seen. "It's Kuruha. Is Claire with you?"

Kuruha listened for her friend's answer, which was, "Yes, he's with me. Was there something important you wanted to tell us?"

"Not really," the dark silver-haired female replied. "I'm only checking since none of us have seen him for a while." A faint sigh escaped her lips. "I'm glad he has you with him, Elizabeth. He can be hopeless sometimes."

"Hey, I heard that!" Claire's comment came quickly. "I'm not dillydallying, Kuruha. You should know me better."

Kuruha frowned. "I do know you, idiot." She shifted her left arm and placed her hand on her hip. "What on earth are you doing? We haven't gotten any word from you about the final concert yet."

"Do you honestly think I haven't been working on the schedule? Geez, you're so impatient."

"Why don't you wait a bit longer and let him rest until he's ready?" Elizabeth suggested. "He's quite drained from working for our sakes."

"Oh~!" Claire said. "That's my darling!"

Kuruha's eyes narrowed slightly in annoyance. "Fine, have it your way. You're so disgusting, anyway."

"That's not very nice!" Claire shouted.

Kuruha turned around completely. "Life isn't nice. After all, you remember all the lives we've spent together as well as anyone else between the four1 of us."

As the dark silver-haired woman walked away from the couple's hotel door, Claire smiled, still facing the direction of his laptop.

"Indeed," he noted. "Life isn't generous to anyone, even with these memories that are supposed to be erased for each reincarnation cycle the four of you have gone through." He sat up straight, removing his arms from relaxing and placed his right hand on the laptop. Its smooth surface soothed him. "Oh. I should say, the six of us instead, shouldn't I? This man's body has always been mine—or, bodies from being reborn many times."

Elizabeth turned back to gaze at her sweetheart with a somber frown on her face. "So has this young lady. She is only a mere vessel for me, as that young man is for you, Circ."

"Faye," Circ addressed his wife in Claire's body. Then, he turned around in his rolling chair. "We're finally back even if we've had to lay dormant in these bodies for a long time."

Faye sighed. "It took many years after being destroyed once more to come back. We've weakened tremendously against the magicians. It's pathetic that we're now relying on human bodies that can hold us."

"All the more reason to take our revenge," Circ responded. His menacing grin appeared shortly afterward. "Now, how should we play things out for the magicians and their precious humans?"

Soon, Kuruha entered a room where Kokoro and Kenshi were in, and the door automatically locked.

"Welcome back, Onee," the younger sister greeted. "Were you able to find Claire?"