So Tell Me Dear, Can Your Heart Still Break

~Dani's P.O.V.~

I was laying on Chris's bed listening to music on my IPod when Chris walked in and sat down on the side of the bed putting his face in his hands. I took my headphones out and waited a minute to see if he would say anything but he didn't.

"Are you okay?" I finally asked him. He looked up at me and gave me a slight smile.

"Yeah," he responded quietly. "Just stressed out I guess."

"How's Megan?"

"She's awake but she doesn't remember the accident or you guys getting here and she has a broken arm and a slight concution," he told me.

"So she doesn't know...," I trailed off fearful of what was coming next. Chris shook his head.

"She doesn't know I left her." Those words were like being hit in the face. Things had to take a turn for the worst or it wouldn't be my life. Chris took a deep breath. "Please don't hate me," he pleaded. "I can't tell her what happened. I can't watch her hurt that way."

"No worries," I said quietly. "I'll keep my mouth shut and I'll be at Jessica's. Sorry for getting in the way." I stormed out of the door before Chris had time to respond and went to find Jessica. I wanted to get out of here now. Why had I even started to think things could work. I couldn't stop the tears that flooded into my eyes. When I got into the living room Jessica spotted me and sighed.

"What happened?" She asked giving me a sympathetic look.

"Everything just sucks," was the only response I gave her. "Can we get out of here?" I asked hopefully. She nodded.

"Sure," she said with a smile. "Let me ask Ricky if he's coming."

She walked off to find Ricky and I sat down on the couch to wait for her. I heard footsteps and looked up thinking she had returned only to find Chris standing there with his hands in his pockets.

"Can we talk?" He asked standing there awkwardly. I sighed.

"Sure," I responded keeping my answers with him short. I felt bad for being angry with him because he was only doing it so that he wouldn't hurt Megan when she's having a rough time but it fucking sucked that I had to be hurt in the proccess.

"Come on," he said holding his hand out for me to take it. Reluctantly I did and followed him out to the back deck. We both leaned against the rail and he sighed. Something about the way he ran his fingers through his hair while he did made me want to jump in his arms and kiss him but I knew I couldn't do that right now. Chris said something and I snapped out of the daze I was in.

"Huh?" I asked him.

"I said I'm not trying to hurt you."

"Oh," was all I said.

"The way I broke things off with Megan was wrong and I have a... uhm... chance? Yeah, a chance to do things over," he said quietly.

"Alright. Well, good luck with that," I responded starting to go back inside.

"Wait!" Chris called after me. I turned back around and crossed my arms.

"Yes, Chris?"

"I think you misunderstood me," he said taking my hand again. "I meant that I have a chance to end things the right way." My heart leaped in my cheast and I almost couldn't believe it. He still wanted me? I tried not to smile but I could feel the corners of my mouth tugging upwards.

"You have to be patient though," he told me. "I don't want to hurt her anymore than I have to." I nodded and went inside leaving him there on the deck. I wouldn't get overly hopeful just yet because things could take a turn for the worse... again.