5. From the Platform to Hogwarts

When September the 1st came, Bill, Charlie, Molly, and Arthur Weasley escorted the youngest five to Platform 9¾. Percy would have accompanied them, but he was busy at work. They arrived at the station and entered a compartment. "So Harry, mate, what did you do in China?" Harry and Hermione glared at Ron. "It was Japan, not China." Ron looked down, ashamed.

Several of their friends looked in on them as the afternoon progressed, including Seamus Finnigan, Dean Thomas, and Neville Longbottom, a round-faced, extremely forgetful boy who had been brought up by his formidable witch of a grandmother. Seamus was still wearing his Ireland rosette. Some of its magic seemed to be wearing off now; it was still squeaking "Troy - Mullet - Moran!" but in a very feeble and exhausted sort of way. After half an hour or so, Hermione, growing tired of the endless Quidditch talk, buried herself once more in The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 4, and started trying to learn a Summoning Charm.

Neville listened jealously to the others' conversation as they relived the Cup match. "Gran didn't want to go," he said miserably. "Wouldn't buy tickets. It sounded amazing though. " "It was," said Ron. "Look at this, Neville. . . " He rummaged in his trunk up in the luggage rack and pulled out the miniature figure of Viktor Krum. "Oh wow," said Neville enviously as Ron tipped Krum onto his pudgy hand. "We saw him right up close, as well," said Ron. "We were in the Top Box -" "For the first and last time in your life, Weasley." 

Draco Malfoy had appeared in the doorway. Behind him stood Crabbe and Goyle, his enormous, thuggish cronies, both of whom appeared to have grown at least a foot during the summer. Evidently they had overheard the conversation through the compartment door, which Dean and Seamus had left ajar. "Don't remember asking you to join us, Malfoy," said Harry coolly. "Weasley. . . what is that?" said Malfoy, pointing at Pigwidgeon's cage. A sleeve of Ron's dress robes was dangling from it, swaying with the motion of the train, the moldy lace cuff very obvious. Ron made to stuff the robes out of sight, but Malfoy was too quick for him, he seized the sleeve and pulled. 

"Look at this!" said Malfoy in ecstasy, holding up Ron's robes and showing Crabbe and Goyle, "Weasley, you weren't thinking of wearing these, were you? I mean - they were very fashionable in about eighteen ninety. . . " "Eat dung, Malfoy!" said Ron, the same color as the dress robes as he snatched them back out of Malfoy's grip. Malfoy howled with derisive laughter; Crabbe and Goyle guffawed stupidly. 

"So. . . going to enter, Weasley? Going to try and bring a bit of glory to the family name? There's money involved as well, you know. . . you'd be able to afford some decent robes if you won. . . ." "What are you talking about?" snapped Ron. "Are you going to enter?" Malfoy repeated. "I suppose you will, Potter? You never miss a chance to show off, do you?" "Either explain what you're on about or go away, Malfoy," said Hermione testily, over the top of The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 4. 

A gleeful smile spread across Malfoy's pale face. "Don't tell me you don't know?" he said delightedly. "You've got a father and brother at the Ministry and you don't even know? My God, my father told me about it ages ago. . . heard it from Cornelius Fudge. But then, Father's always associated with the top people at the Ministry. . . . Maybe your father's too junior to know about it, Weasley. . . yes. . . they probably don't talk about important stuff in front of him. . . ." Laughing once more, Malfoy beckoned to Crabbe and Goyle, and the three of them were about to leave, before they were roughly pulled back.

"I don't believe you answered Hermione's question, Malfoy." said Harry. "What makes you think i'd answer that filthy mudblo-" Draco was cut off as Harry smashed him into the wall of the compartment, pressing his katana to his neck. "You might want to think carefully about your next words, Malfoy. I don't take insults to my friends lightly." Draco was shivering as he said "Just you wait Potter, i'm going to-" "What are you going to do? Call for daddy? you're weak and pathetic. You can't even cast a light spell right."

Harry stepped back and watched in satisfaction as Draco grabbed his goons and bolted out of the compartment. "That was brilliant Harry!" said Neville. Hermione was frowning as she said "You could have hurt him Harry." Dean was just laughing and Seamus said "Yeah right! he put Malfoy in his place!" Harry noticed that Ron was frowning slightly, before he grinned and said "Good job mate! That slimy snake deserved it." 'Way to show your prejudice Weasley.' thought Harry.

After a while, they arrived at Hogwarts, Harry droned out until Dumbledore got up a second time at the feast. Albus Dumbledore got to his feet again. The buzz of chatter filling the Hall ceased almost at once, so that only the howling wind and pounding rain could be heard. "So!" said Dumbledore, smiling around at them all. "Now that we are all fed and watered, I must once more ask for your attention, while I give out a few notices." 'What?' Harry wondered 'Another death warning.' 

"Mr. Filch, the caretaker, has asked me to tell you that the list of objects forbidden inside the castle has this year been extended to include Screaming Yo-yos, Fanged Frisbees, and Ever-Bashing Boomerangs. The full list comprises some four hundred and thirty-seven items, I believe, and can be viewed in Mr. Filch's office, if anybody would like to check it." The corners of Dumbledore's mouth twitched. He continued, "As ever, I would like to remind you all that the forest on the grounds is out-of-bounds to students, as is the village of Hogsmeade to all below third year. 

"It is also my painful duty to inform you that the Inter-House Quidditch Cup will not take place this year." "What?" Harry gasped. He looked around at Fred and George, his fellow members of the Quidditch team. They were mouthing soundlessly at Dumbledore, apparently too appalled to speak. Dumbledore went on "This is due to an event that will be starting in October, and continuing throughout the school year, taking up much of the teachers' time and energy - but I am sure you will all enjoy it immensely. I have great pleasure in announcing that this year at Hogwarts -" But at that moment, there was a deafening rumble of thunder and the doors of the Great Hall banged open.