Monsters

I hid in an abandoned grocery store and listened to them shuffling around outside. The shelves had long been cleared of canned foods and instant noodles, but that wasn't why I was there. No, I was hiding from them. The monstrosities lurked right outside the glass door, waiting for me to show myself so they had a reason to pursue me further. They looked human and probably were at some point, but their flesh was rotten to the bone and green acid poured from every orifice on their face. Except for one eye in their forehead that stared and stared and never blinked.

I peeked out of my hiding place behind an empty shelf. Some of the monsters were gone, but one saw me and started banging on the glass. The others remaining immediately followed its lead. I cursed myself and looked for a new spot to hide before they smashed through the glass.

I dashed towards the door to the back and found it locked. Oh no. The glass door shattered. Half a dozen monsters shambled into the store, dripping sizzling acid onto the floor. I watched them wander the store before the leader spotted me. It growled through the acid and alerted the others.

"No, no," I muttered and shook the doorknob. Come on, open up! They were coming right for me. Oh god, why did I ever leave the group?

The leader lunged at me; its hand outstretched to grab my throat. A shot rang out, and the monster stumbled. It turned and snarled at its attacker. There was a hole in the back of its head. Two more shots and the monster fell.

Its eye was bleeding as it fell. Two people in black stood still, each holding a gun, but only one pointed their gun. Their gas masks hid their faces, and each wore a belt with wicked looking needles. They turned to each other and said something I couldn't hear.

The monsters almost looked afraid, but they weren't as scared as I was.

Oh no. Oh no no no. I yanked on the doorknob, but it wouldn't budge.