City of Tears (Hollow Knight)

There's something about a journey that keeps you going, the little horned bug concluded. He stared at the fountain, a statue of a tall, shrouded bug stood proudly in the middle of it. The plaque told of the Hollow Knight who bravely sacrificed himself to save the kingdom.

Apparently it wasn't enough, the little bug, Ghost, looked at the ruined city around him. Shattered glass filled the streets. Buildings, formerly full of rich purpose, stood silent and filled with the  walking husks of its former denizens. Rain poured from the top of the cave.

Ghost didn't mind the rain; he had suffered much worse on the journey to the City of Tears. He kept a tight grip on his old nail and gathered his cloak around his black body. His head was a striking white, and even he was unsure whether he wore a mask or not.

Ghost started to turn away and explore the city further.

"Hello there!" A voice stopped him. Ghost spun around and drew his nail.

"Hey, calm down, little warrior," an old bug said. His shell was brown, and he had a fur ruff around his neck. His face drooped until it was almost touching the floor.

"I noticed your interest in the fountain," he continued. "My name is Lemm, and I own a relic shop up a little ways."

Ghost relaxed, but still kept a tight grip on his nail. Maybe he can tell me why I am here, he thought. Or who this Hollow Knight is.

"You don't say much, do you?" Lemm asked. Ghost shook his head and pointed at the statue.

"I'm afraid I don't know who that is. None of the records I've seen even mention who this is or what he did."

"It must have been something great, for  a fountain to be made in honor of it."

Ghost nodded, and started to leave.

"Wait," Lemm stopped him. "If you find yourself in need of extra Geo, come to my shop and I'll see if you have something you can sell to me."

Ghost looked at him and raised his nail in salute before walking away. The city wasn't going to explore itself, after all.